Oil pressure on starting??

A

Anonymous

:roll:

Helloooo,

Wonder if any one could help me as im new to both this site and my Pulsar!? Is it normal, or's something up, but when starting my car the oil pressure warning light comes on for the first few seconds and the car sounds really noisy. Almost like a deisel!! This noise doesnt fade away it will just disapere after a few seconds. Is this because there is no oil in the oil pump or what?

Any help would be most gratefull.

Thanks,

A new Pulsar owner!!

J

J-GTi-R

That horrible rattle is the cam chain. What happens is the chain dries out as the car sits with the engine off, and needs to spin a few times on start-up to lube up again (also the tensioners are hydraulic so need oil pressure to take up any slack). Perfectly normal, and yes I was worried too for about the first three months of ownership...

A

Anonymous

Thanks J

Ye was a littel worried bout the noise, I should be able to rest a little now!

J

J-GTi-R

The thing is it's the same noise as you get if the big end bearings are about to die, so for three months I was pooing myself thinking I'd bought a lemon on it's last legs. Then someone told me it was just cam chain rattle and I almost melted with relief... :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What does the oil pressure guage read at this point? My pressure build straight away and the engine is pretty quiet. Maybe you have abit of wear and it just needs the few seconds to build the pressure.

A

Anonymous

The oil pressure guage increases staedily until it gets to about the middle of the guage. This only takes a couple of seconds from start up. Once it reaches the middle the noise dissapears straight away!?

E

Edd

Well when mine was working properly....
i used to get 6 on the guage on startup, then 4 once warmed up and crusing, then between 2-4 on idle.
Since then suspected piston rings (won't know till engine's stripped) start up to 6, drops straight to 4, then to 2-3 when driving, and stays under 4 all the time and about 1 on idle :shock: :shock:

And i see your in Solihull, i live just down M42 nr sutton, we should meet up when mines back on the road, there are quite a few owners around here :D

S

Sunny Nutter

I get 6 on start-up, with a tappety noise for a second or two, the oil warning light doesnt come on at all though!!!
once she is warm and cruising she sits just above 4 and just below 4 while idling
a compression test on the cylinders might be handy to verify if your rings are in good nick!

speaking of which what are the good/alright/poor values of compression for each cylinder??

M

memski

Factory figure is around 150psi (I seem to have 170 on all cylinders though :shock: ).

andygtir

i get just over 6 on start up, once warmed up 4.5 and when idle around 2.5-3 it always builds very fast on start up but i have to say that i never get any rattles or nasty noises though.

E

Edd

memski said:
Factory figure is around 150psi (I seem to have 170 on all cylinders though :shock: ).
maybe it had a hiteq rebuild in a previous life :wink:

i reckon get on the 3037 and injectors and map it for 1.8 bar and just see what happens......

then rebuild it if it blows :shock: :D

GTIR-LOZ

yeah i dont get any oil pressure light and goes straight to 6 on start up, maybe you are using pisswater oil, most people use 10/60 fully synthetic

P

purplemonster

can some one tell me why a compression test would diagnose an oil pressure problem ?

ROB

C

charlie

purplemonster said:
can some one tell me why a compression test would diagnose an oil pressure problem ?

ROB
i was gonna say the same thing :shock:

S

Sunny Nutter

If you suffer from oil pressure problems the following are the possible problems
a weak oil pump,
worn rings and/or bearings,
worn valve guides,
or plugged oil passages

a compression test is the quickest and easiest to test if your piston rings are worn....hence really eliminating/pinpointing one of the main causees of oil pressure problems. 8)