Oil Leak!!

M

M1key

[SIZE=+0]I haven't had my pulsar long and have noticed its got a fairly decent oil leak. Its coming from the drivers side of the motor. I've had a quick look and it seems to be spraying abit down the right hand side of the car under body. Looks like it may be the timing chain cover leaking onto the drive shaft throwing oil all over. I just wondered if chain cover was a gasket or just sealant? I'd like to sort the gear out firstly before ripping it to bits.

Thanks
Mike
[/SIZE]

stu-gtir

Sounds to me like it's the seal behind your crank pulley matey, had the same problem with mine. you can get new seals from nissan there only a few quid.

Stu

M

M1key

Yeh I though it would have been that myself, but I had a good feel around the pulley but it felt quite dry

P

pulsarboby

if its not the c/s oil seal then it will more than likely be the rocker cover gasket (half moon seals at the end)
the oil could be dripping down and the pulleys are throwing it around everywhere!

M

M1key

From the head gasket up over theres no sign of any leaks though.

O

Odin

M1key said:
From the head gasket up over theres no sign of any leaks though.

Sounds like it could be the crank seal then, Its not a hard job to change really.

But make sure its that first, Check behind the pulley and see if their is an oil stain from the seal down the front cover to the steel sump pan, If it is you will need to undo the 27mm crank pulley bolt then remove all the belts pull the pulley off, And hook out the old seal very carefully as not to damage the thin metal washer behind the seal, Then its just a matter of tapping the new one in gently.

Whole job shouldn't take much more than an hour or so ;-) :thumbsup: .

Rob

M

M1key

Whats the Toque setting for tightening up the crank pulley wheel???

Thanks
Mike.