Oil filter seal

astarozna

Odd thing happened yesterday, my R was in the garage and mate of mine changed oil on it and changed the oil filter as well. Later that night he went for a spin and came back walking, LOL. He said that the oil pressure dropped and he pulled aside the road and switched it of. In the morning he collected the car and took it back to the garage and discovered that oil filter seal was blown! Has anyone encountered similar problem and what might caused it?
-Thanks

astarozna

No, it wasn't genuine nissan and i was there when he changed the filter, He only tightened it with hand, Did put some oli on the seal and put it on. The thing is i had the same brand filter on for run in and it lasted(700miles) ??
And i didn't hold back on the run in either!

antgtir

Ive certainly never heard of this happening.

I would hope for your sake that your newly run in engine isn't starting to destroy itsef and has decided to increase bottom end pressure.

Im sure its just a faulty filter, try another and see if it happens again.

Ant.

Braveheart

Do not be insulted by me asking but did the old filter seal come off with the filter. Is there a change it stayed on the plate and you ended up with two seals?

astarozna

Nope, the old one came off with the seal. Just strange that one held and the other didn't. I had never encountered such a thing before hence the Q.
I did modify oil pump a bit but that shouldn't be the reason. On idle it rets on 4bar and on boost goes up to 8bar, switched the oil as well from mineral to synth but that shouldn't make any diference either

antgtir

Thats very high oil pressure mate.

I would defo use the Nissan filter as my dad had a similar problem on his Mazda Bongo, he used an aftermarket filter and found that the oil was taking longer to circulate around the engine due to restrictions created in the design of the filter. He then bought the Mazda version and the problem was solved.

I think sometimes the aftermarket filters are very poorly made and on a vehicle as sensitive as the R i wouldn't risk it personally, not for the sake of £2 or £3.

What about the bond / seam between the inside end plate and the actual can, was this at fault?

Ant.

youngsyp

I would just put it down to bad luck. All these things aren't made equal and it's quite conceivable that one in the batch isn't up to scratch.

From now on though, just use an OE filter.

Oh, and your oil pressure is very high. On average, it should be just under 2 bar at idle when warm, around 4 bar when revving out, when warm and around 6 bar on a 'cold' start.
This may be the cause of your porblem. The non genuine oil filter seal couldn't cope with the oil pressure it was dealing with ?!

Paul

astarozna

I put the high oil presure down to mineral oil. I think it's thicker, that's why the pressure is so high.
To:Gunmetalgtir, LOL
Thanks for replies guys!!!!