Oil Filter removal

A

AZ STE

I dont know if anyone else has this problem but I have a nightmare undoing the oil fliter even though i only hand tighten it and smear the seal with oil on fitting.I use a strap wrench to remove it but its a nightmare getting it in properly.Ive seen on the Aus website a metal band oil filter remover which tightens up around the filter is anything like this avaliable here similar :?:

turblio

Yep its called an oil filter wrench sometimes they are chain link straps
and available at most car accy shops :)
Frank

A

AZ STE

Ive got both a strap wrench and chain wrench already.The one ive seen is a metal band 1/2" thick in a circle shape exactly the same dia as the oil filter you slide it on and turn a short handle which makes the band grip the oil filter you then pull on the handle towards you off it comes.

bengilmore

Ye i have one of those, but there pretty awkward to use, they keep slipping off the filter. The chain and strap wrench are probably the best :wink:

Keira

I use a less subtle method when they dont want to come off and hammer a long screw driver through them :shock:

JU5TY

Yeah I’ve had to use the hammer & screwdriver technique a few times. We’ve got an oil filter remover, but the filter is to small for it to get a grip on.

G

GTI-R Kid

hammer and screwdriver - simple and effective (though not very subtle :oops: ) Works a treat for me and since the filters going in the bin anyway piercing it isn't really an issue. :lol:

J

J-GTi-R

Unfortunately the first time I tried the hammer and screwdriver technique I just ended up with two sodding great holes in my filter and the bugger still stuck fast...

My chain has a socket end so I can get in there quite easy with a short ratchet drive.

A

AZ STE

Yes Ive had the same cut the filter in half by the screwdriver method still wouldnt move started to panic just managed to tap the top flange of the oil filter until it eventually undid too me over a hour to remove it :(

ian c

removal

you shouldn't need to do this, everyone is tempted to overtighten them...

I change my oil about every 3 months and everytime the filter comes off by hand........Read the filter, it says something like, tighten 1/2 turn past initial contact.

it won't leak!

Ian C

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
The problem is there in very awqward position and usually very slippery.

A good method is to use a strip of wet & dry or sand paper, tare the sheet in half so it's long enough to wrap around the filter once, then with the paper side facing outwards grip it by hand and turn, it works treat 8)

S

C

chrislloydus

jubilee clip. Tighten the jubilee on to the end of the filter with a screwdriver. Then tighten it with an 8mm socket on a ratchet. You can get it REALLY tight then. Then simply place your screwdriver in the screw of the jubilee and smack it undone with a hammer. Usually only needa a 1/4 turn or less then it will be hand tight. ALWAYS works, NO mess and the filter comes off undamaged.

Chris

A

AZ STE

Chris ,
Like the suggestion will be trying that if it sticks in the future :wink: