oil filter HELP

recaro18

how do you take the oil filter off with the mocal sandwitch plate on?
it seems to be a rly tight gap and the filter is hard to squeeze past? anyone had this problem and help would be usefull as i am halfway through an oilchange lol

rich

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
When I did mine I just jiggled it around until it became free, nothing much to it.

Its a bit tight against the rubber boot, but the boot it should give way a little bit and you can remove it. Its a bit harder to put it back, but again just give it a wriggle and you'll be fine... and make sure you don't cross thread it when you put it back on ;-)

recaro18

im just trying to get the old filter off at the mo! and its the right filter thats on there and should be the right one that im going to put on got it off opie oils with the oil!

just seems a right squeeze and doesnt want to come yet!?

recaro18

got it off and new ones on fine and done up hand tight, just to check the engine oil capacity inc filter is 3.7litres right??

O

Odin

I find it a tight squeeze to that's why I've just bought a filter relocation kit for mine.

Rob

andytb

filter relocater

filter relocation kit!! where can you pick these up from and how much are they ?! thanks

G

Green Dwarf

Have found same problem with filter from opie oils. After Bloodied knuckles and much swearing I realised that It's simply too long, and it wont fit if you have a mocal (and probaly any other) sandwich plate/oil cooler set up. Because the sandwich plate shortens the gap by however much it measures.

I bought the listed GTIR filter made by ADL or Blue Print and stood it on a table side by side with the Opie one, and and the old, used filter off the car which may have been nissan. Wot y know! The opie one was a good bit longer, some 10mm than either the others. The ADL filter fitted with difficulty, but at least it fitted!

Last edited by a moderator:

geoff pine

Just buy the nissan one there cheap enough and iv'e changed mine twice with the sandwich plate on with no problems .

Boooooost

I used a genuine filter with the cooler kit and after only 1k had hell of a job to get the filter off used all means I had and in the end got it off but the filter was pretty much destroyed. Only put it on hand tight too!