Oil Cooler

Roy Archer

My Norris Design oil cooler is curently in the position of the original top mounted intercooler, where is the best place to move it too, im thinking down by the front mount! Any suggestions?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could move it down there, or even into the driver side brake duct if the cooler will fit.

I've just moved mine from front-mounted to where yours is. I found that whilst front-mounted, the oil temps were struggling to get above 75-80 degC, not ideal for oil viscosity.

From what I've read in various locations, the oil will not be at it's best until between 90-110 degC. Since moving my cooler to a top-mounted location, the oil temp is hitting 90 degC under regular driving.

P

Pete

mines right behind my front mount intercooler been told thats the best place for it :-D

MarkTurbo

Mines behind my front mount too ;-) How can it heat the intercooler up :lol: The air comes through the front mount before it hits the oil cooler so the heat from the oil cooler would be pushed away from the intercooler ;-)

nismoboy

MarkTurbo said:
Mines behind my front mount too ;-) How can it heat the intercooler up :lol: The air comes through the front mount before it hits the oil cooler so the heat from the oil cooler would be pushed away from the intercooler ;-)

when your sitting in traffic or moving slowly lol

maz

so idealy its better situated where the old top mount would be? as its not all about getting the oil as cool as possible?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fit a thermostat and mount it at the front IMO so it will only cool the oil as much as possible when you need it. My main reasoning for not going on top was for access to injectors and inlet manifolds etc. But the coolest air is always just above the ground so the lower your oil cooler the better, assuming you've got a thermostat.

P

Pete

i would say on top of the engine should be worse there because of all the heat from the engine atleast at the front it gets all the cold air from the front when it comes throw the intercooler

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My thermostat is just a simple seperate valve, the sandwich plate types are neater. I'm not missing my brake ducts either but I have got some of the wheel arch removed too (It came out with the brake duct :oops:) Mine is in the passenger brake duct like NIssan did. TBH the reason why I'm not missing my brake ducts is more to do with the 310 discs dissipating heat than anything else

Jonesy

Fitted my front mount oil cooler oil temp sits around 75 - 80 degrees, is this ok or should it be a bit higher.