Oil Cooler Size for 570bhp?

G

Green Dwarf

Hi, Have read forums about oil coolers. Thanks Odin 4 idea re remote filter. Will do that. Want to run car about 570 brake, and possibly track it. So what is the largest front mounted oilcooler (as in mounted on the front chassis member) I can get away with, but yet still maintain a healthy oil pressure throughout. - Suffering no engine damage?

Obviously the bigger the cooler, and longer the hose run the greater the pressure loss.

Will I need an uprated oil pump?I assume mine to be standard. Currently have top of engine mounted Mocal 16 row oil cooler which is leaking and does not cut the mustard. It runs 110 celcius and car now is only running 370 brake at best. So I belive when I up it to 570, I am going to need a damn sight bigger oil cooler. what is the best way to go?

If significant are there very low pressure loss oil coolers availble?

Second question: Oil thermostat

I intend to get a thermostat. which is best, in line pipe, or in sanwich plate?

Third question: Oil Capacity

Best way to increase oil capacity without pressure loss?

Cant find an enlarged sump that will fit as per forums here. What about an in line resiviour. A bit like a very large oil filter. Or some other means of getting another litre or two of oil in there? After all, the SR20Det's were designed to run228bhp or so. on 3.7 litres of oil. I am looking for 570bhp. What is the best way of maximising oil capacity and cooling, without pressure loss? Advice gratefully sought!

Regards Mike

O

Odin

A 19 row cooler mounted behind the front mount should be plenty big enough fella, But you have to think about a better Rad as well because the two are linked, You need more efficient water cooling to go with the better oil cooling otherwise you're just wasting your time in my opinion.

Rob

O

Odin

Oh I forgot to add that their is no better oil pump available for the GTI-R engine because we already have the best one made as it is.

You could check yours for condition and if needed replace with new gears or a complete front cover and gears if your own is to worn.

Rob

G

Green Dwarf

stevepudney said:
Mike, with your present set up, how exactly do you think your going to hit 570 bhp??
Hi Steve, Hope you and Project Ultima are doing well.

I cant say 'exactly'. - 'Exactly', or at least a good idea is what I was hoping to arrive at through using these forums etc as in :Basicaly: Research, +Time, +Money,,,,probably.

+Money, considering my humble means, likely featuring as the largest part of the equation. But considering as how I am thoroughly bitten and smitten with the the car and I find it hard to refuse that burning coal that is the GTIR, even though I see her before my very eyes flaming greedily though my wallet. - OUCh!

The car has a N.D. rebuilt engine, for which I have the £3,750 reciept. Allegedly it was rebuilt to the N.D. 570 spec. ie to with stand 570bhp.

I am of the same school of thought as Odin in beliving in over engineering things. MY personal rider to that would be in so far as it is not unduly detrimental to overall perfomance. - If you take over engineering to extreems, the car would weigh ten ton.

There has to be a ballance. So what I am considering, - AND PLEASE ADVISE!, is something like 500-550bhp. Somewhat under design limit, so as not to run things on the knife edge. After all the car is my daily ride and reliability is an issue.

The car has serious over heat problems in that i have to run it most of the time with the heater on, slow down, blip the engine through with petrol etc, just to keep the temps down so as not to melt the engine. It is running at best 370bhp now, so ive obviously got to do something.

The consensus of opinion is that you should modify whith a mind to an end objective, as in my case 550bhp. Rather than keep upgrading the same bits. The former is supossedly the cheaper route.

Regards Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Green Dwarf

stumo said:
you can get oil filters that hold about a ltr of oil that fit the remote kits.
Now thats the kind of usefull information I was looking for! Thanks mate! Any Ideas where, or is it flea bay? - Thanks Stumo,

Regards Mike

G

Green Dwarf

Odin said:
A 19 row cooler mounted behind the front mount should be plenty big enough fella, But you have to think about a better Rad as well because the two are linked, You need more efficient water cooling to go with the better oil cooling otherwise you're just wasting your time in my opinion.

Rob
Thanks Rob, Food For Thought! - Big question to ask you, but gotta go now. Hope to post in tomorrow.

Thanks mate, regards Mike

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Your 16 row cooler should be enough to be honest! If your coolant runs hot because of lack of Rad cooling then your oil temps will rise too!

Keep the 16 Row Oil Cooler and look into getting a large ali rad!

Rishi

skiddusmarkus

The cooler and lines on mine added nearly a litre to the capacity.You're nearly there.

BTW I don't think you are going to get a 570bhp spec engine for under £4k that the receipt shows.Not even the parts.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
skiddusmarkus said:
The cooler and lines on mine added nearly a litre to the capacity.You're nearly there.

BTW I don't think you are going to get a 570bhp spec engine for under £4k that the receipt shows.Not even the parts.

Absolutely right! Norris Charges at least £13k for an engine to cope with just 500bhp! Quite happily advertised on their website too!

Rishi

Green Dwarf said:
The car has serious over heat problems in that i have to run it most of the time with the heater on, slow down, blip the engine through with petrol etc, just to keep the temps down so as not to melt the engine. It is running at best 370bhp now, so ive obviously got to do something.

Regards Mike
If you're having these problems then there is already an issue with your setup that needs addessing before further mods.

It just shouldn't be gettin that hot "most of the time".

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try searching or asking HERE for N/A SR20 stuff, they have more experience than us.

If you need to keep this topic going, I'll start a new thread for you from the above post.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Mike no disrespect mate and don't take this the wrong way......................

but bare in mind this is Bruce Morris's old car ;-) were talking about here.................... Make what you will from that

Mike, I would do some serious research into the "true" spec of this engine as the cost of that receipt would just about buy you a standard, forged piston rebuild from N/D if you go spending loads of money on getting the extra 150 break out of the car and it goes pop you will be well out of pocket and mighty upset.

Last edited:
G

Green Dwarf

Thanks all for the much appreciated advice. :-D On the basis of which I intend to:

Fit a new deep and wide aluminium radiator. 19 row 240mm wide front mount oil cooler, thermostat in sandwich plate, with the remote large capacity oil filter as reccommended. Fit a new deep core, wide FMIC. Get the water injection working and send it for mapping.

I don't intend at this stage to look for more power as, as you have pointed out, the true status/safe power rating of the engine is open to question. - And I really can't afford for it to go bang! But if it turns out to be that the engine will safely handle more power I would like to consider ways of achieving that.

After all, the previous owner ran the car with a single stage 50 or 60bhp nos kit, which he claimed to use regularly. I have the kit, it is a big blue alloy bottle by Nitrous Oxide Systems, and the lines and gubbins are I think by Exceedy Corporation. I was thinking of re installing it, but peeps tell me that NOS at levels significant to performance, especially single shot has a very detrimental effect re engine / transmission life.

It is said to be just too savage, too brutal. Simply too much power in one go for the components to take. So been advised to consider bigger turbo or go supercharger route. - They say similar bhp but more gently delivered, therfore powertrain less stressed and failure less likley.

- All seems logical to me! errr? then been advised by other peeps, why not chuck the single stage NOS solenoid and get a multi stage solenoid (three I think, I also belive they are expenive, but falling in price, like £1,400) this pulses the NOS in gently and apparently over comes the metal smashing instant power problem.

Hmmm,................ - So back to square one there then! What dooooo I do? Turbos, Supers, Staged Nos, other? How do I find out the likely safe limit to take my engine to? It is obviously at least 50-60bhp more than it is now. - Or do I just leave well alone and be thankfull that so far, I have enjoyed a reasonably reliable car.

Any how I will be cleaned out with the expense of the cooling improvements. So I might for the time bieng, re fit the NOS as it is, single shot and use some of the smaller jets. I think the smallest set I have is 20 or 30bhp. + Get car remaped.