oil cooler pics

D

DodgeT

was a bit tricky to fit cus of the lack of room for the fittings, but only took a couple of hours :D

big diff on temps :D

i love carbon :)

:)

B

BabyBhp

Never seen that b4 on a R let alone a car

Buts looks good 8)

B

BabyBhp

lol
ive never seen that carbon fibre cover thing before on a GTIR
and have never seen it on another car

S

srbpower

Nice work, works kinda like an underbonnet table but in carbon 8) first course.... oil cooler :D

na very nice :)

Si :)

D

DodgeT

all me own handy work :) thats probably why you aint seen one before :D

after fitting the front mount, was gonna make a cover for the spark plugs, saw you could buy spark plug cover & injector cover & dizzy cover, so thought why not make it all in one :D

it just so happened then to be the perfect place to mount the oil cooler

dont think it does much for heat soak, if i wanted it to cut down heat soak i could of lined the bottom with aluminium foil.
My thinking is with the cooler there, the engine heat will help the oil warm up quicker than having it insulated & the air can do its business cooling the oil when on the move.

A

Anonymous

Wonder if u could fit an oil cooler to the under side of the bonnet in the big vent

D

DodgeT

it would end up in the same place as mine is now

wouldnt want to keep flexing those hoses/joints everytime you opened the bonnet.

Y

YODI

Only problem is that you shouldn't have blocked the back end of the oil cooler like that, it doesn't allow the air to circulate through it. Just like blocking the back of your rad.

Yodi

D

DodgeT

there is quite a gap under the cooler for the air to escape, its just you cant tell in the pic :D

C

Crazy

So what oil temps were you getting and what oil temps are you getting now because I also have an oil cooler but cannot decide were to mount it :?

D

DodgeT

only drive car at weekends.....

2 sundays ago, hot day, was getting over 110deg

sunday just gone, another hot day, stuck between 80 - 90deg

C

Crazy

Looks like I do not need to mess about trying to fit it at the front as there is not much room for a 19 row oil cooler :shock: with my Forge front mounted intercooler :wink:

Do you think that the carbon stops some of the heat as I may do it like yours but with a small piece of carbon just to mount the oil cooler onto 8)

Y

YODI

DodgeT said:
only drive car at weekends.....

2 sundays ago, hot day, was getting over 110deg

sunday just gone, another hot day, stuck between 80 - 90deg

I assume two sundays ago you never had the oil cooler fitted?

D

DodgeT

I assume two sundays ago you never had the oil cooler fitted?
yep, only fitted it saturday.

the carbon does block quite a lot of the heat from the engine, as i said before, you could line the bottom with silver foil/tape for greater effect. 8)

P

PROAUTOPARTS

Oil Cooler

my question is where did you get that oil cooler from and are you happy with its performance...........ohh and how much as well............

Steve
X GTi-R X

D

DodgeT

i bought it off a guy on here, he got it from thinkautomotive, apparently they make the kits for mocal or something like that....
not sure how much it'd be from them.

im happy with its performance so far :D

A

Anonymous

got the one seen on my avatar pic for just ova 200 quid from norris designs,very gd bit of kit,makes a huge differance.

(sorry,just realised this is an old pic!but the norris designs one is exactly the same.took about a week to arrive,as no cores in stock,should only take 2 days)