oil cooler fan

rossdj1983

whilst im on the cooling issue tonight im wondering is it worth putting a small spar fan on my 16 row top mount oil cooler? had to put it up there cause i ran out of space:doh: anyone done it before?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Its your own fault for putting it on top of your engine!!

Just front mount it and be done with it. You can't tell me there isn't room!

Rishi

Rishi

rossdj1983 said:
4" fmic + 2" custom made rad +3071 with 4" inlet on = f all space

Large Custom FMIC, Large Twin Core Ally Rad, GT3542R w/5" intlet = Fits with plenty of room so try harder mate.. :lol:

Rishi

cmng

front mount Oil cooler

you think is ok for front mount it a passenger side brake duct area ?

rossdj1983

ok ok, i couldnt be ased to get longer pipes, but has anyone done this or is it pointless

cmng- start your own thread, answer- yes

Rishi

rossdj1983 said:
ok ok, i couldnt be ased to get longer pipes, but has anyone done this or is it pointless

I'd say its pointless really.

For the sake of £20 for longer pipes i would just get some ordered... ;-)

Rishi

Rishi

Why did you move the intercooler to the front? Thats right because the hot engine was heating it up. Same thing will happen to the Oil cooler.

Stick it down the front. You'll get more efficient cooling there..

Rishi

cmng

rossdj1983 said:

Sorry Ross

maybe i should start a new tread as you said

thank

youngsyp

RishiGTiR said:
Why did you move the intercooler to the front? Thats right because the hot engine was heating it up. Same thing will happen to the Oil cooler. Rishi
But you're not trying to do the same thing with the oil !
The oil needs to be in the 80 degrees C to 100 degrees C range to do it's jobs properly. I know I don't use any more than 3k rpm or any boost until my oil is at least 70 degrees C and it takes forever to get there in this weather. If the oils too cool, you'll get increased oil drag and increased wear etc...
Plus, the oil only gets hot when the engine is labouring. When the car is sitting there, the oil will only get cooler (aslong as you're not reving it). This is obviously the opposite of the TMIC issue. When you're driving and the oil is getting warmer, top mounting the oil cooler in the old intercooler position is an ideal solution, as it will be getting all that nice cool air through the intercooler intakes, essentially, allowing the oil cooler to do exactly what it's designed for !

Out of interest rossdj1983, what peak oil temperature have you seen with the oil cooler in it's current location and, what does the temperature usually sit at on average ?

Rishi

youngsyp said:
But you're not trying to do the same thing with the oil !

Yes you are... You are trying to cool it... :der:

I never said you were trying to cool it below 70 - 80deg... But you are looking for efficient cooling.

If the oil cooler itself is sitting at 90deg+ then its not going to do a great job of cooling the oil especially as its being heated up by the engine...

Front Mount, thermostatically controlled cooler is the way to go.. That way once its down to 70 - 80deg the oil cooler isn't used so won't cool the oil below adequate operating temps.

Rishi

rossdj1983

youngsyp said:
Out of interest rossdj1983, what peak oil temperature have you seen with the oil cooler in it's current location and, what does the temperature usually sit at on average ?
dunno yet mate hasnt been fired up since the rebuild, ill let you know soon as matey

rishi- i got talking to a guy who works for mocal, he told me that the thermostats are a pile of crap, apparantly very unaccurate, i dont know how much truth is in that cause i never had one

youngsyp

RishiGTiR said:
Yes you are... You are trying to cool it... :der:

I never said you were trying to cool it below 70 - 80deg... But you are looking for efficient cooling.

If the oil cooler itself is sitting at 90deg+ then its not going to do a great job of cooling the oil especially as its being heated up by the engine...

Front Mount, thermostatically controlled cooler is the way to go.. That way once its down to 70 - 80deg the oil cooler isn't used so won't cool the oil below adequate operating temps.

Rishi
Yes, you are trying to cool it but, not to the same degree (pardon the pun) as you are the intake charge ! And I didn't say that you did that you did say you were trying to cool it below 70-80 deg.....
I'm not debating that front mounting the cooler wouldn't be the perfect positioning, operationally wise but, there is nothing wrong with having it mounted vertically (or as close to as you can), where the TMIC used to be. If it's thermostatically controlled and getting a good proportion of the cool air coming through the intercooler intake, it'll still perform it's job very well and keep the oil temps below 100 degrees.
I've only ever seen 110 degrees max on my oil temp gauge and that was in the height of summer in 2004, constantly using all the rev range etc...
Point is, if you're using decent oil, changing it regularly and have a cooling system that is in good condition, a top mounted oil cooler will be more than man enough to keep a lid on oil temps, no matter what the conditions !

EVOBAD

thats ok i dont see the point of having oilcooler if your no running good power i only used 1 when i ran my 410bhp ,not sure if ther any good as i had a forged bottom end & still killed my rod ,as we all no u need alot of luck when running big power gtirs & bottom ends tend to go what ever parts are used

Lionel

EVOBAD said:
thats ok i dont see the point of having oilcooler if your no running good power i only used 1 when i ran my 410bhp ,not sure if ther any good as i had a forged bottom end & still killed my rod ,as we all no u need alot of luck when running big power gtirs & bottom ends tend to go what ever parts are used
only if your engines is made out of lego:doh: :der: .

oil cooler`s can be use if your running standard power or 1000hp its a good mod and so cheep to do i cant see why more people dont use them.

Rishi

EVOBAD said:

There is no luck involved.. If its done properly it will last as long as you design it to... :der:

Rishi

Rishi

youngsyp said:
Yes, you are trying to cool it but, not to the same degree (pardon the pun) as you are the intake charge ! And I didn't say that you did that you did say you were trying to cool it below 70-80 deg.....
I'm not debating that front mounting the cooler wouldn't be the perfect positioning, operationally wise but, there is nothing wrong with having it mounted vertically (or as close to as you can), where the TMIC used to be. If it's thermostatically controlled and getting a good proportion of the cool air coming through the intercooler intake, it'll still perform it's job very well and keep the oil temps below 100 degrees.
I've only ever seen 110 degrees max on my oil temp gauge and that was in the height of summer in 2004, constantly using all the rev range etc...
Point is, if you're using decent oil, changing it regularly and have a cooling system that is in good condition, a top mounted oil cooler will be more than man enough to keep a lid on oil temps, no matter what the conditions !

I've run my car up at 1.7bar so far and never seen it above 90deg. my FMOC keeps the temps where they should be..

Each to their own..

Rishi