Oil Cooler continued.... Is this a sensible idea?

A

Anders

For those of you who have read my post about changing the oil with an after market oil cooler and not being able to free the trapped oil.

Is this a good idea or am I nuts :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What if I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cooler and used a self-tapper with a rubber washer to seal the hole? I could then drain ALL the oil.

I'm not sure on the internal construction of the cooler so don't know if this is possible or if I'll damage the internal structure of the cooler.

Its a Mocul by the way. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

A

antilag

how about blowing it through with an air line???????? just a thought

skiddusmarkus

Even simpler would be to just leave your engine running while your oil drains empty...........oh no,that will wreck your engine :wink: .Don't drill a hole in the cooler,you'll regret it.
You can always disconnect it and then let the pipes down to the ground.

A

Anders

:( Thats the problem - I cant get a spanner to the hose fittings without removing the bumper or stripping the rad out etc...

A

antilag

no offence mate but its a hours job taking the bumper and rad off and if your that keen to sort it it lookr like thats wat u got to do ent it maybe get a t piece mad up for the pipe so u only have to do it the once

N

N1SMO

Why dont you also buy 5lts of cheap shite oil pore it in run the engine for five mins then drain it out, thats what i do. but i do have 90 galon of oil at my work.

:D

A

Anders

Antilag,

No offence taken and good point. Guess I'm just gonna have to get off me arse.. :lol:

Is there a writeup for taking the front bumber off or is it generally a straight forward job?

Thanks, Andy

A

antilag

its easy just a few clips round the number plate and under neath and to 10mm bolts either side of the bumpers at the tips going into the arch just pull the inner arch out to get to them

Keira

As whats already been said it takes fuck all time to get the front off.

You may find that the ducts are still attatched to the arch liners, and even with everything undone it may feel like it doesn't want to budge, theres 4 tags on the back, if they're not broken already be carfeul not to break them.

Rad fans are simple enough, unclip the contacts and then 2 bolts each i think, radiator is held in at the top on a bracket, 1 bolt either side undo and push the rad towards engine and pull out, you can leave the bottom hose connected, just remove the top hose, you will lose abit of water but wont have to go through the hassle of completely refilling, stuff a rag in the radiator end by the cap and then top up with coolant when re-installed.

This photo shows what i mean :)

To be honest though you might aswell drain the lot and flush the rad whilst you're at it, bleed screw is on the thermostat, an arrow points at it, its top left of the housing..

J

jasegould

I think you are going a bit ott with this oil trapped in oil cooler stress :?: thousands of cars use oil coolers and theres never a problem with them. Yes a small bit of oil will be left but thats why you change the oil regulary, so it isnt a problem.

:? I dont wanna start an argument...this is just my opinion :D

A

Anders

Kieron, thanks for the additional info.

jasegould2002 said:
I think you are going a bit ott with this oil trapped in oil cooler stress :?: thousands of cars use oil coolers and theres never a problem with them. Yes a small bit of oil will be left but thats why you change the oil regulary, so it isnt a problem.

:? I dont wanna start an argument...this is just my opinion :D
:D Sure, but when I bought the car a few weeks ago it had done 1500 miles in the past 2 years and although it had a F/S oil change every 3K I was concerned that the current oil had deteriorated quite badly so I wanted to do a complete engine flush, hence I wanted to remove all the oil. In the future I will just religously change the oil every 3k without removing the cooler and pipes.

And what a fooking PITA it was to. I started at 7 last night and I finished at 2 this morning. The bumber was easy (apart from 2 fog lamps that wouldn't come off) and a number of seized bolts to deal with etc. :evil:

...so no I won't be doing it again :lol: but now I'm happy as it running on fresh Millers 10/60 :D

M

memski

Cool, good to hear you got it sorted :wink: I've got a similar problem with my oil cooler mounted in the brake vent, I make sure the oil is changed every 3k but am thinking of just removing the oil cooler next time to see how much it actually stores.

A

Anders

memski said:
Cool, good to hear you got it sorted :wink: I've got a similar problem with my oil cooler mounted in the brake vent, I make sure the oil is changed every 3k but am thinking of just removing the oil cooler next time to see how much it actually stores.
Cheers,

I found the cooler to hold very little oil, probably 1/4 of a liter. Its the 2+ meters of hose going to and from the cooler that trapped a good litre if not more. If you are able to access where the hoses connect to the coooler without too much trouble, just disconnect them and raise them to a high point. This will drain most of the oil.

celm

the evos have an external oil cooler mounted in the right front fender.when we change the oil we dont touch the oil cooler at all.those coolers dont hold alot of oil