odd whining noise in drivetrain

CanadianR

Car started making a wierd whining noise today on the way home from work. I let the car warm up for 5 minutes (timed on the remote start) and then started to drive home. The temperature was 11 degrees C. There began a whining noise through each gear around 3000-3200 rpm and again in the lower revs, but I couldn't pinpoint where.

That's pretty much all I can describe, I'll drive it tomorrow and see what it does. The sound was sort of wavering in and out.

BTW, what's the coldest temperature that Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear oil can go before it is too thick and stops working properly? (re: canadian winters).

antgtir

Are you sure its not the gearbox? How is the selection in all gears?

The front transfer box can whine quite alot, if you are lucky enough to have had a none whining transfer box, for it to start probably sounds louder than it does for us lot lol.

Not sure on the gear oil working temps.

Ant.

J

jpward

antgtir said:
Are you sure its not the gearbox? How is the selection in all gears?

The front transfer box can whine quite alot, if you are lucky enough to have had a none whining transfer box, for it to start probably sounds louder than it does for us lot lol.

Not sure on the gear oil working temps.

Ant.
Really :? I must be lucky then mines like a wee mouse :lol:

DanDud

My car has always wined at low revs in 1st gear, nothing wrong with it. How long has the oil been in the box?

davey red.r

does the whining noise get louder faster you go and quieter the slower you go?i had this prob and it was pandoras box

CanadianR

the whining stays at the rpm no matter what gear I'm at. All drivetrain oils were swapped in April with redline heavy shockproof. I'll check it today again, hopefully it was just me hearing things. :lol:

CanadianR

CanadianR said:
the whining stays at the rpm no matter what gear I'm at. All drivetrain oils were swapped in April with redline heavy shockproof. I'll check it today again, hopefully it was just me hearing things. :lol:
It was just my hearing.:doh:

M

madmax

i had the same problem to day when i was putting the last bits back on to my car, and wtook it for a test drive the car had a wine on power and not when i let off the gass, i double checked everything and it was the nuts on the deive shafts needing another 1/4 of a turn. ide have a quike look their m8