Odd noise; power steering?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've been plagued by an odd noise from the passenger (near) side front wheel. It's hard to describe, but it's creaky and for a long time I thought it was something in the suspension.

I know my shocks etc aren't in the best shape, but I can't find anything loose or obviously broken... so I've put up with it hoping it will either fix its self (unlikely), or get worse (and then I could pin-point it).

However, recently it has occurred to me that it might be something in the power steering rack... it does sound a bit like a hydraulic pump noise, except that it only happens with the wheel partially turned and the suspension partly loaded.

I guess my question is is this plausible? Which leads to what could I do about it?

bob the builder

not too sure about that without hearing it. will have a listen when i see you at time attack. will bring my mobile workshop so we can look indepth.

darkyGTI-R

Does it do it when it's cold if it does could be alternator belt perhaps?
I know mine makes funny noises when it's cold in the morning and the steering can be very stiff!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
At high speed you can't really hear it over the road/engine noise. At low speed you don't really hear it either. - I figure about 40mph when I go around a bend to the left; so quite often on B roads, but never in car parks and rarely on an A road.

The sound is definitely coming from the front left of the car, so nothing driven off the engine. I thought maybe my top-mounts where on the way out... but it's only recently I've thought about noise in the power steering rack; I figure there's a particular point where the wheel is turned and the tie-rod is slightly up (or down) when it starts making the noise.

It doesn't seem to be especially road-speed sensitive, but I did wonder about wheel bearings or maybe a CV joint... except there's no rumble if you put it in neutral, and there's no clicking if you put it on full lock in a car park.

Really what I want to know is if it's safe to ignore it, or whether I need to get the rack out and refurbished. - It's not loosing any power steering fluid; so I'm wondering if it's something in the fluid return or an internal leak.

darkyGTI-R

It sounds like could be lower arm bushes perhaps or possibly worn ball joints what about your drop links?These could be worn also?
Just a thought George i'm no expert!

pschurr

If you want to test that it is/is-not the power steering pump, take the belt off.
This will stop the water pump as well, so take it off, test of for 5 miles, and put it back on.

peter

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds like could be lower arm bushes perhaps or possibly worn ball joints what about your drop links?These could be worn also?
Just a thought George i'm no expert!
Nope - new wishbone (with new bushes and ball joints) went on about 14 months ago, plus I've tapped and helicoiled the thread for the rear wishbone mount (so I know it's solid now).
New droplinks went in for the MOT about 6 months ago.

That's probably why I can't find any play in the suspension; it has always sounded like something turning which it why I was looking at the bearings and the CV joint.

Peter - I might try that on the weekend; the back roads near my house are just right to make it happen... and if I kill the car at least I can walk home again. ;-)