Octane Booster???

T

tailz

Hi,

I'm running nearly 300bhp and am off to Ireland long-term. I don't think there is super unleaded, 97RON fuel out there, so should I be using an octane booster to raise it from the 95RON standard stuff?

If so, which one is recommended?

Thanks guys

Tailz

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
where are u going 2in ireland north r south if ur going up north ur ok if ur down south i us shell v-power

lakeview

i used octane booster in my car for over 7 years never ever had a problem.mind i never used it with normal unleaded just with optimax

rob

Studlife

the only ones that are good are the few that contain MMT i'm not sure of the brand you guys have over there, but the most any will increase is 1 octane point.

T

tailz

I'm south ireland, so I'll look out for the V power. Cheers guys.

youngsyp

If you're going to use octane booster, the Millers stuff is pretty good. I've used it in the past and it definitely gives the car more pep. However, don't expect miracles. I'd expect it to allow you to run 97 RON fuel safely though.
The entry level Millers stuff boosts octane by 2 RON points and the more expensive stuff, by 3 RON points. Not that it is that expensive. The entry level stuff should cost you between £2.50 and £3 a bottle. That will treat 1 tank of fuel.

If you're going to struggle to get a good supply of high octane juice, you'll need to reduce your base timing or better still, get the car re-mapped to run on the lower octane fuel.

antgtir

I would do what Paul has said, either use the Millers or get the map set for the RON you are most likely to use, then you know for certain there will be no damage to the engine.

Ant.

G

Glanzbo

Also an in teresting thing a friend of mine said to me as he had been running his Golf on super unleaded before it went off the market here in Ireland, he was using octaine booster. He told me that this new petrol a few places are doing that contains 95% Petrol and 5% Bio-ethanol actually has an increased octane of at least 100RON and cost's the same price as normal petrol. Now don't slate me as I do not know this as fact yet but from having a flick round the web a bit it does seem very plausible.

Maxol sell it:

http://www.maxol.ie/maxol-bioethanol-e5.html

G

Glanzbo

HotSnot92 said:
where are u going 2in ireland north r south if ur going up north ur ok if ur down south i us shell v-power
V-Power is just "cleaner" or something I think it is still 97-98RON

youngsyp

Glanzbo said:
Also an in teresting thing a friend of mine said to me as he had been running his Golf on super unleaded before it went off the market here in Ireland, he was using octaine booster. He told me that this new petrol a few places are doing that contains 95% Petrol and 5% Bio-ethanol actually has an increased octane of at least 100RON and cost's the same price as normal petrol. Now don't slate me as I do not know this as fact yet but from having a flick round the web a bit it does seem very plausible.

Maxol sell it:

http://www.maxol.ie/maxol-bioethanol-e5.html
That's the same type of fuel (E5) as we have over here, from Tesco. This Tesco fuel is 99 RON though and it's aroudn 5p a litre more expensive than normal 95 RON unleaded (V-Power is 8p a litre more than the 95 RON fuel).

It's still a good fuel but, it has additives to take the octane rating up from 95 RON to 99 RON where as, V-Power from Shell, is distilled to be a 99+ RON fuel.

After some extensive tsting on my own car, I've decided to stick with the V-Power. I get more MPG and the car feels more lively with it, as compared to it running on the Tesco 99 fuel.

If it's all you can get though, use it. t's still better than 95 RON and octane booster and, will be cheaper for you.

Fusion Ed

Made over 620bhp on an evo running Tesco 99. Agree with less MPG but its got good knock resistance.

Ed

Fusion Ed

Yeah, I would like to have tried V-power on the same day, and compare what ignition advance I could run. Unfortunately its not that practical to drain a cars tank when sat on a dyno, especially when time is limited.

youngsyp

Thorney Motorsport have done some extensive testing. However, I think their results contradicted the two separate magazine tests that I've read.

They had Tesco 99 as the top performer in terms of power an torque, only slightly though. Where as the two separate magazine tests had the V-Power as the top performer, by a more considerable margin.