Not another intercooler question!!

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if you guys could help me again? I've noticed something rather strange.....
I can buy a Forge front mounted intercooler on its own for £375 but in a kit it costs £728.50! Can a few pipes and clamps really cost £353.50? Surely I can get these parts for cheaper myself and save £200 or so? Has anyone built up a kit themselves or has everyone just paid the full whack?
So, anyone of you who have bought one of these kits, is there something magical in the kit that could not be copied?
If someone was willing to give up the 'blue-print' for the pipe run then I'd be prepared to pay a small fee for that information?

S

Sirnixalot

i built my own kit with a better core but with steel piping.

everything probably cost me around 850gbp. Including core, endtanks, welding, couplers and pipes, shipping and duty

if you know anyone in metal fabrication you might be able to get the piping done for about 200gbp or less then there are the couplers and clamps...it adds up

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
goats_breath said:
If someone was willing to give up the 'blue-print' for the pipe run then I'd be prepared to pay a small fee for that information?
I think you might have to ring Forge for the blue prints :wink:
Probably the most expensive bit would be the turbo outlet bend. Everything else is straight or Samco hose.
It'd be easy enough to copy if you had someone to do it and a turbo outlet to copy. But if everyone copied manufacturers stuff, they wouldn't bother making anything for our cars and then where would we be? :(

A

Anonymous

Yeah I guess it's not all bad buying the complete kit from them. It just doesn't seem right that all the pipe work should cost nearly as much as the intercooler itself! Bit of a con really but then it's not a cheap thing to modify cars!
I'm also of the belief that it's better to build a car up at a minimal cost rather doing as many other people do which is just put their hands in their pockets. For instance is it Andy Nichols who has that f-ing fast Maestro on TOTB 1 and 2? Now there's someone who deserves much respect!

C

chrislloydus

the 375 for the intercooler is excluding vat..........
the 728.50 for the kit includes vat !

.....and you're paying for tooling, R&D etc. too rather than just the cost of the parts.

A

Anonymous

No, it was definately £375 for just the intercooler and INCLUDING VAT! Look in Japanese Performance magazine in the Woodford Garage Motorsport ad.

A friend of mine has done a conversion of a G60 engine in to a MK1 Golf all on his own. He's put a massive alloy intercooler in and managed to do all the pipe work (with posh Samco hoses and alloy pipes) for just over a hundred quid!

Is there no one out there who would let me know what pipes etc I'd need to do this myself or do we all want to pay through the nose for over-priced parts? :?

Davey

judging by the amount of it, i'd think you were paying 300 odd quid for the samco that comes with the forge kit :shock: :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

so far i see no reason to lock this....just dont let the thread go down hill guys

C

chrislloydus

No, it was definately £375 for just the intercooler and INCLUDING VAT! Look in Japanese Performance magazine in the Woodford Garage Motorsport ad.
I was looking on the Forge website at this page :

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/GTiR.asp?cat=gtir&catalog=gtirINT

Where the prices are ex. vat . If Woodford Garage are advertising it as £375 inc vat then id jump on it pretty quickly - thats cheaper than the suppliers ! ......and as i said before you are forgetting the R&D, the tooling costs, the prototypes etc. that all have to be made to get a kit on the market. The final price is not just the cost of the parts - the same goes for all the kits on the market, its just that Forge happen to sell the intercooler seperately too.

Davey

some firm was selling a universall pipe kit for intercoolers, it included bends, straights, couplers and silicon(i think) bends
It was on e-bay somewhere, but cant remember the price or anything, sorry :cry: