Noisy rockers and slipped chain, oil pressure

A

Anonymous

Howzit

I have just put my car back together and found the rockers are noisy. I realise that the shims are wrong. THe clearances given by the nissan manual for intake, exhaust, cam and valve clearances, do I subtract those measurements from the gap measurement to arrive at a shim thickness?

Also, the bloody chain has slipped three teeth, I dont know how, I am worried as hell, The engine still goes, no clunking or rattling. The weird thing is, the timing marks all line up even though the chain as slipped. Crankshaft, both cams lineup. What would have caused this?

I am going to see how much a shim kit costs tomorrow

Also, does anyone know what the oil pressure should be, mine sits at around 2 on the factory gauge

Can anyone help? please!!!!

GTIR-LOZ

how do you know the chain has slipped 3 teeth if all the marks line up :?:

also my oil pressure is about 6-7 at cold then warm drops down to about 2-4

A

Anonymous

When I did the timing, I made sure that the bright links on the chain lined up with the timing marks on the crankshaft and the cam sprocket, now they dont line up.

My oil pressure when cold is around 2, and stays around there the whole time.

Is my oil pump stuffed?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The clearance in the manual I would expect to be the actual gap you should be aiming for when measuring. To work out the shim thickness you need to measure the gap as it is now, then work out how far from the correct gap this is, say 10thou too big, when you get the old shim out check it's thickness and you'd need a new shim (for this example) that is 10thou bigger than the old shim. The size should be marked on the shim I think, if it isn't use a micrometer or vernier to measure it. Then you do this for all 16 valves. You will possibly be able to juggle some of the shims around to reuse them in different places so you don't have to buy so many new ones.