Noisy gearbox, grrrr

M

Mart

Started my R today, let her idle till oil pressure drops to 4 8) .

But while idling i noticed a rotational rattling/shaking noise not a buzzing/wineing, poped bonnet, had a nose about, sounds like gearbox :evil: .

Pressed cluch in and just after that it went away when cluch is held in.

It could be release bearing :? ,
Is there anyway to check release bearing without stripping gearbox (i.e inspection cover?)

Any help would be great

Cheers
Mart

S

samellio

Its the clutch release bearing i think... Nowt to worry about :wink:

ex-gtir

dont just assume its the release bearing i did that once to my cost turned out to be a stripped tooth of first gear
not you have to take box of to inspect it sorry :(

M

Mart

What about under the clutch fork rubber boot, just cake it all in WD40 and hope for a change in noise?

ex-gtir

put you hand on the clutch pedal when the engines running press down slightly if you feel pulseing then it may well be release bearing
wd wont make a difference i doubt
mike

M

Mart

Right i have had another look at it today, and its not the release bearing cuz i can push the clutch in half way and the noise is still there.

When u push it all the way in it takes a second for the gearbox to slow down and then the noise stops, as u let the clutch out as if u are pulling away as soon as it comes of the floor the noise starts again.

What could it be? I think big problem alot of money to fix

I had my 3rd syncro fixed a few months ago, should have warrenty on work done, do i have a come back?

any help thanks
Martin

zia

could be primary shaft bearing. the only way to be positive is to strip it i sujjest just keep driving until noise get really bad and then take out.if you,ve got warranty take it back and get them to sort it. has it a new clutch? did they change all gearbox bearings?

zia

M

Mart

Its doesn't have a new clutch, but needs one. They didn't replace any bearings just the 3rd syncro.

Keep driving with it? are u sure! :shock:

zia

a bit off a bojjet and scarpa job then :lol: the noise will obviously increase as time goes but it worn,t cause any emmidiate problems. so as i said take it back if you,ve got warranty!!

zia

T

tombola

rattle

had the same rattle on mine thought it was release bearing to
turned out to be input shaft bearing in gearbox
had the endcase off and all bearings replaced at a cost of £450

if u leave it they will shatter and could be the end the box