no sound through speakers

Godzilla

right i fitted a new head unit just before christmas and this week it has decided to not make a sound its playing etc but no sound doesnt even make the static sound when radio is on any chance that if one of the door speaker wires has come loose it is shorting on the door which might cause this,if not im stumped ,will be taking a look at weekend just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem

R

riske

You probably have the 2 speaker wires touching causing it to short out. Or the connectors have come loose. Or your radio is on mute...

Godzilla

lol mute you never know but i doubt it

thing is if i play with the wires at the back of the stereo it will work until i turn off the ignition then wont come back on,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ah - it has lost it's constant 12v which keeps the memory. That's different from the 12v ignition feed that allows it to operate.
Sounds like you've got a few loose wires behind the unit.

Godzilla

ok i took it for a drive before (maccys run) and it was on but still not playing anything then it just turned off power , am i best just cutting off the connector blocks and soldering all the wires to cut out messing about,

Godzilla

think u maybe right there, went to go work just now and it powered up again still no sound but when I stopped power went off and drivers side door speaker made a popping noise ,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you used a connector block you've probably got a couple of loose ones. Take them out one-by-one, twist the ends up nicely, and put them all back in and tighten them all up. - You'd be surprised how often they aren't biting on anything when you think they are... or it's just a couple of strands which give way.