new water temp sensor question

M

mynheers_a_pint

OK, so i think i know what the problem i have is but i want to confirm. I'm now under the impression there are 2 water temp sensors- one for the ECU and one for the gauge (as per bob's parts list). can anyone confirm which one is which, perhaps photographically and also if this set up is identical on all variations of the SR20?

The particular sensor i replaced is top left (looking from the front) but i couldn't find a rear engine pic as they have all mysteriously disappeared!

M

mynheers_a_pint

thanks. oddly i did a quick search on Google and think i've managed to identify the difference, namely the orange connector on the ECU sensor and the single wire for the gauge and this helps as i now know it was the gauge sensor i replaced and that is probably incorrect.

P

pulsarboby

yes the single spade is gauge sensor and the 2 wire plug (which is right next to it) is the one to the ecu. and yes the sr20det sensors are a direct replacement

M

mynheers_a_pint

cool. i think my mistake was going for one for an SR20DE. Screws straight in (obviously) but the needle goes up seconds after starting. Reaches normal running temp about 2 minutes after starting from cold despite the water hoses being mildly warm and goes right to the top of the gauge at traffic lights or sitting still for more than 2 minutes. Scary at first but the fan cuts in and it never gets hotter than what i consider standard running temps.