New Rebuild

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Well, after battling with the valve clearances (see other thread), the engine is now all built up and bar a few hitches it's in the car and all running (well, I'm amazed even if your not!!).

When I was setting the valve clearances I was advised that I could build the head up off the block then mount it on the block put the cams in and set the clearances when cold to 6 thou (0.15mm) and thats what I did, ish.

Once the engine was in and all connected up I did all the fluids, filled the gearbox and transfer box with Silkolene silk tran 5 and the engine had a generous helping of a cheap 10w - 40 Mineral Multi grade just to start of the run in.
On attempting first start up, I detached the HT lead and pulled the fuse to the fuel pump, then turned the engine over via the starter motor a few times until some oil pressure was visible on the gauge, this went up to the 2 position on the standard gauge, I then reattached the HT lead and put the pump fuse back and started her up. Holding her at about 2 - 2500 rpm for a minute or so to take any stresses away from any new parts that needed a quick bed in and after the plumes of steam and smoke coming from the greasy hand prints all over the manifold e.t.c. had gone I could concentrate on what what going on and what it sounded like. The oil pressure went up to about 6 at 2000 rpm and once warm settled at about 3.5 on 950 rpm idle.

My first impression was that the top end was noisy with more noise than I expected coming from the rockers. Next I noticed a water leak coming from the back of the block , I knew what that would be, I must have forgotten to do a clip up properly, that started pissing out in the end so I switched her off.

My question is (to those that know), I know that I was a little generous with the valve clearance gap, I was told 6 thou (from a reputable source) but I was also told 7 thou and even 10 thou from others, so armed with that information all my clearances were set between 6 & 7 thou (cold), the question is, if I leave the clearences at that will I be loosing out on anything or doing any damage. Also on tha crap oil, does the oil pressure sound alright as I was concerned it was a little low.

Your quality replies are eagerly awaited.

In the meantime I'm now going off to take the engine out again to do up the suspected loose water pipe down the back of the block