Need suggestions for bonnet vent ?

A

AJ4

I've got rid of my sparrow catcher bonnet and have a flat one on it now. I'd like to put some sort of vent in it rather than jacking it up at the back to get heat out.

Can anyone suggest a style of vent thats not too Max Flower looking ? I need it to be functional, dont really care what it looks like. Something flat would be nice with a sunken vent, like the evolution kit, something that makes the bonnet look flat when view from the front ;)

Not really up on this 'styley' sort of stuff, so if anyone can suggest a style I'll be more than grateful.

Cheers !

ashills

only vent i would want is the focus wrc off the older cars looked wicked 1 vent on either side rather than the big one they had that was right across bonnet

KF79GTIR

why not design your own & take it to a bodyshop to find out how much it will be better than trying to find somthing to fit & why are you ditching the original bonnet

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I like the louvres idea if I could find somewhere local and cheap.

For what its worth, http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ do them from RGM, they are the RGM-AC24 and RGM-AC39 £40 or £45 delivered. I like the AC39, would look similar to the Integrale EVO bonnet

CruiseGTi-R

I suppose the simplest idea would be to use the oe louvre vents and cut holes out of the bonnet yourself. At least it wouldn't cost very much then. But, I think you'll get better cooling suction by using a longer 'strip' of louvres (I think oe ones are a bit short/useless).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Ross, with you having an understanding of aerodynamics and the heat from the engine, aside from the look of the thing, functionally where should they be and how much venting do we need?

A

AJ4

I was thinking of something along the Evo lines, but the louvres would be more subtle... maybe I could find some in mild steel that I can cut into the bonnet and weld so it looks one piece ?

The most airflow is over and under the block, so the best place for a vent would be just above the exhaust manifold area. Anything you can do to get the flow through the front mount and then up and out the bonnet the better. If you dont, the air has to flow down over the back of the block past the inlet manifold and the bulkhead, which is kind of like a parachute :D

Last edited by a moderator:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
CruiseGTi-R said:
I suppose the simplest idea would be to use the oe louvre vents and cut holes out of the bonnet yourself. At least it wouldn't cost very much then. But, I think you'll get better cooling suction by using a longer 'strip' of louvres (I think oe ones are a bit short/useless).
That was my plan A until I noticed they actually vent very little over a standard bonnet

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
I was thinking of something along the Evo lines, but the louvres would be more subtle... maybe I could find some in mild steel that I can cut into the bonnet and weld so it looks one piece ?
I've thought that too, there seem to be a load of E-type vents around but they are length rather than width ways

A

AJ4

the standard louvres aren't really in the right place and are more for show than function. Thats probably why they are blanked off from the factory ;)

A

AJ4

the things is, I dont give a stuff about how it looks, as anyone who has seen my car will tell you :lol: It just has to be functional ( and discreet ;) )

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I've always been a fan of the 400R and the ZTune vented bonnets....

Failing that i was gonig to use an EVO style venting but then got hold of my Glass Fibre Turini Bonnet....

Rishi

Mr GTiR

AJ4 said:
the louvres would be more subtle... maybe I could find some in mild steel that I can cut into the bonnet and weld so it looks one piece ?
If you do a search on the net there a company called ‘cool louvres’ or something like that. If you send them your bonnet and tell them what you want they will stamp it for you so you retain your original bonnet. All you need to do is have it repainted and fit it.

Nigell_d6

What about one that opens at the right temp or speed using the porche mechanicals, and in all honesty, with what is left in your engine bay,with the space for air to move, just take the rubber seal off at the bonnet join, cheap,

Nigel, :roll: