[N14] which brake pad?

sunny1600

Hi guys.

I'm not driving an R but I have the same front brakes as the sunny/pulsar gti and R have the same "shitty" brakes.

I have upgraded my breaks to grooved disks (nameless) and EBC Greenstuff pads.

I do some tracktime at the Nordschleife a couple times a year and now I want to upgrade from the ebc greenstuff to something better.

Now I've found the Mintex 1144 pads e.g.
http://www.motoscope.co.uk/brakes.htm
MDB1500M1144Mintex 'C-Tech' Front Brake Pads, Nissan Sunny 2.0 GTi 16V (N14) & 2.0 GTi-R Turbo 4WD (N14), 90>9571.72

and the Tarox/strada 112 pads e.g.
http://europerformance.co.uk/pages/...nissansunny&manufacturer=tarox&sub_category=1

And some other pads. e.g.
http://europerformance.co.uk/pages/...mhtml?car=nissansunny;category=frontbrakepads

Which brake pad is the one you guys say is good for normal road use in a 100bhp :doh: car with occasionally track use?
Therefor it has to have good cold bite but fading as late as possible. :thumbsup:

thanks guys.

sunny1600

Mintex 1144
Ferodo DS2500
Carbotech XP8
Pagid Blue RS 4-2
Thanks.
But can you give me some advice which is the better one for the intended use? Normal streetcar with no engine mods (100bhp) and occasionally trackday use.

Do you have a link for those? Didnt know there is ferodo DS2500 for the N14 gti(R).

olliecast

Carbo tech xp8's are excellent but may be too much for a 100 hp car.
Have a look on the carbotech website, if there's no lower I'd go for xp 8's. I had xp10's on my evo caliper on my gtir and they were flawless

sunny1600

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp#2

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)

The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Carbotech XP8™ (1108™)

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

This is from their website.
I have selected cartype NX Coupe year 1991-1993 because the pulsar/sunny wasnt available in the right modeltype (only <91)

So the AX6 should be better for daily and occasionally tracktime than say the mintex 1144 and the Carbotech XP8?

Does anyone have a link for the ferodo DS2500? Cant find them on their website http://www.ferodoracing.com/catalogue/search.php?search=car_tuning_vehicle&cat=brake_pads

olliecast

I'd go for the ax6 then mate because as it says, the weight of your car I bet is a bit light for the xp8.

Just my opinion, being a carbotech fan.

Oh and the "elevated noise"....... I love it! :)

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Thanks.
But can you give me some advice which is the better one for the intended use? Normal streetcar with no engine mods (100bhp) and occasionally trackday use.

Do you have a link for those? Didnt know there is ferodo DS2500 for the N14 gti(R).
Mintex 1144 - Good for daily use and "street use". Can take a hammering on track too.

Ferodo DS2500 - Good for daily use and "street use". They should do a unit for the GTiR. As you said our brakes are the same N14/RNN14 model, look out for the RNN14 pads.

Carbotech XP8 - As ollie says more for track use, but can be used on the road. You just need to get a little heat in them before they come "alive"

Pagid Blue RS 4-2 - Again a little sluggish cold, but press the pedal once or twice and that should put enough heat in them

-----------------------------

The XP8's and RS 4-2 might be a little too much for your car, try to AX6's or Mintex, both should be fine for what you need.

It also depends on how you drive your car on the road, if you just drive slow and steady then you won't need such a "race spec" pad, push it harder then it might be worth looking into something better like the AX6

sunny1600

Mintex 1144 - Good for daily use and "street use". Can take a hammering on track too.

Ferodo DS2500 - Good for daily use and "street use". They should do a unit for the GTiR. As you said our brakes are the same N14/RNN14 model, look out for the RNN14 pads.

Try to AX6's or Mintex, both should be fine for what you need.
How about the ferodo ds2500?
Are they better then the mintex or the AX6's for my use? Sometimes normal driving, sometimes braking late and hard an off course the track use.

Cant find them anywhere on the net for a sunny/pulsar n14.
Do you have a link where I can get them?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
How about the ferodo ds2500?
Are they better then the mintex or the AX6's for my use? Sometimes normal driving, sometimes braking late and hard an off course the track use.
There all about the same, give or take (although I've never used AX6 pads).

Look for RNN14 pads rather than N14 pads.

As for links, I have non, I buy through a local supplier.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's still related...

EBC Blue Stuff pads - are they only for track use? I won a set in the Total Nissan competition and they've now arrived... but I don't want to put them in if they're not suitable for road use (I'll put them somewhere safe and bring them out for special occasions). Conversely, if they'll be fine once I've got some heat in them, then I'll get used to the old dual-pump braking system.