my interior sucks - ideas?

S

S.J

heya mates

well after a long time the exterior of my car is looking fresh, 17 inch white 5 spokes .. full re-spray in imperial racing blue (focus RS colour) .. meshed bumper, black rear windows, smooth tail gate .. removed the ariel an smoothed over .. tinted my rear lights .. but then we look in the inside ..........

my carpets tawn, my seats are shit!! my dash board is crap, i need a change inside, it looks stunning from the outside .. but looks a tip inside,

i cant afford a full re-trim, its mainly the carpet and the dash im done in about .. the seats are obvios ..save money an buy some new ..

but i dont like the black dash, has anyone done anythin diffrent with their dash? i dont want to go into the tackyness of spraying the dash board cause ive seen a couple jobs like this an they look foul!
and i havent a clue what to do with the carpet .. ive thought about going to a carpet shop an seeing if they can make one based on my old one .. but i dunno .. i'lll end up having to shake 'n vac it everyday!

any ideas?

CruiseGTi-R

Don't spray the dash as you say.

The best thing to do with the dash is just make it as 'clean' looking as possible. i.e. replace any cracked, badly scratched sections, holes, missing buttons, bad fitting etc. The closer to factory fresh the more you'll be pleased with it. We're lucky that the jap interiors are actually quite inoffensive, unlike say older Ford interiors.

Some have re-covered the top of the dash with alcantara or flocking like rally cars have, can look completely oe and gets rid of the dated vinyl on top.

Carpet wise you can rip it all out and detail the floor pans, saves you weight too. If you can't stand the noise then getting new ones made isn't that difficult. It won't be one piece like the oe one, but in a number of sections. You can even do it yourself and use iron-on edge bandings along the seams, it can look completely oe and brand new.

maz

if your dash and any other plastic trims are scuffed or scratched, get a soft cloth and rub it in some black shoe polish for a few second then rub that into the scuffs and scratches, it makes them dissapear mate. i done it to most of my interior a while ago and it came up a treat. it also doesnt leave any goo or residue. :)

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiRs dash was done with black alcantara & his brother done it for him.

scottyd

the thin plastic trim that goes around the centre console and clocks on my car is sprayed silver, but i want it looking black like standard, any ideas how i could do this?
will i have to spray it or can i use something to remove the silver paint and bring the standard trim colour back out?

maz

hmm, most of your paint strippers contain nitromors and i dont think it treats plastic very well, it may melt it. id just go for a respray, but do it right, some of the guys on here might be able to help as with what type of paint and wether to use primer or not :)

houghy_1

Mr GTiR said:
I'll try and dig up some pictures of my interior

That might take a while eh andy:p :lol: :lol:

Seriously, Andys interior is a top quality job with a LOT of hard work put in by his bro.8) 8) 8)

Matt

Studlife

you could swap positions of the three center gauges with the stereo, i put a in-dash DVD player in the spot of the gauges and put the gauges above the cup holder