My Car has no boost & I cant wind it up!

EvilGTiR

Hi, Iv had my GTiR for a few months now. I bought it with a blown engine so I bought an engine from an importer in sydnet with 39, 000 k's on it..I paid to have engine installed.

Picked the car up and it pulls like a corrola! At first I thought it might be the wastegate or actuator so i replaced the whole turbo. Made no difference. I thought the boost controller might be fubared so i disconected the electronic apexi boost controller and installed a manual in-cabbin boost controller. I know that this is hooked up right!

Now i take off, I watch the boost gage, itll go to seven or eight psi by the time i get to 5400 revs, but if i wind the boost controller allll the way up, it makes no difference at all??? wtf.

I'm now very confused. any ideas why im not feeling boost, or why i cant wind it up. is it normal that i cant hear the turbo whistle? ive had many turbo cars and have always been able to hear the turbo wind up.
I cant hear it on this at all. maybe electrial... i dont know, two seperate people have said the intercooler might not be cooling the air down enough??? (its the top mount relocated to the front) and someone else said something about the crank sensor...

Does the stock boost solenoid need to be plugged in if im running a manual boost controller.. if so, where is it... this starting to do my head in... any help would be much appriciated.. thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock boost solanoid is just to the right and front of rocker cover as you look from the front of the car. If you are using a manual or electronic boost controller you need to disconnect the standard solanoid. Do a fault code check first and that will tell you if you have and faulty sensors. You should hear turbo spool up though so not sure what's going on there. Your actuator feeds back to plenum with a single pipe, you put your bleed valve inline with this. Hope that helps a bit?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is there anyone on GTiROZ local to you that could take a look? Surely there's got to be a couple of owners in Brisvegas.

The fact you're seeing 7mmHg each time suggests to me that you do still have the factory boost controller installed (or that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way it's plumbed-up).