my alternator fell off and it wont go back on!

A

andy n

my alternator came loose and the long bolt at the back of it came nearly all the way out. theres a bush on the bolt that doesnt want to go in and it looks like i'll have to take the manifold etc off to put it back. does anyone know an easy way. i have aircon so thats in the way from underneath. please help me i'm having to drive my sister in laws yellow cinquecento.

P

purplemonster

sorry to hear about the yellow cinquecento- some people have no luck in life ?
i really feel for u mate

robert

J

jasegould

I heard that there is a long bolt that usually causes problems and some people replace it with 2 smaller bolts or something???
Im not 100% sure, just remember a post about it

E

Edd

I had this problem on mine, fortunately for me, it broke onthe day i was fitting a new turbo lol

If it's the long bolt then i think you have to remove the turbo to fit it.
Has the bolt snapped and come out?
If its come out you can put the bolt in the other way round, ie push it thtough from the left hand side and put nut on manifold side, and possibly use shorter bolt.

A

andy n

the bolt hasnt snapped. i suspect i'm going to have to take t'turbo off. is this as straight forward as it looks?

zia

nope !!! :wink: watch the oil and water metal pipes when takin off, need new gasket for mani.

zia

S

seanleed

You don't need to take the turbo off to do it. If you remove the radiator (and don't have the air conditioning pump) you can remove the bracket that the alternator is attached to and wiggle it out from underneath the car. You can then check the bolt and see what's up with it. On mine the bush was a peculiar shape, so I replaced it with an M10 nyloc that that I slid on with the nylon bit facing the bracket so it located centrally on the hole. I nipped it up so it could just move on the bracket, refitted the lot to the car, tensioned the belt and that job done, apart from putting the rest of it back together :) :)

A

andy n

i think thats what i'll be doing. unfortunately i have aircon so its still a bit of a squeeze.

S

seanleed

I think you'll have to unbolt your air con pump, I can't see the alternator going past it. It took me a bit of wiggling to get mine out. But I've just remembered I didn't need to remove the radiator :D

ian c

alternator

na, wip off the slam panel, drop the coolant, lift the rad and fans out all in one go.....you should then be able to unbolt the bolts that go into the block (two below the alternator, one above) then there's one more on the left hand side low down....

mattygti-r

ive done it, removed that top bolt, with just the coolant hose off,

no need to remove rad/ air con bits or anything, turbo included.

it will go but its a bastard to do. :oops:

A

andy n

i managed to drift the bolt and the bush back in by using a 4' long 3/8" steel bar as a center punch. i had to take off the oil separator and the heat shield from the manifold. all i need now is a new nut which i pick up from nissan tomorrow. hopefully this will sort it. i did all this with 1 arm cos i've just had shoulder surgery, its been my first solo repair on the R apart from the usual oil changes etc. and i've learnt loads about where things are under the bonnet.
thanx for all the help with this. i probably couldnt afford to run the old girl if it werent for people on this forum.