M's K&N Fitting

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I bought myself a new bit off eBay because it said "fits Nissan 80mm MAFs like SR20DET RB25DET etc". - Now the adaptor is 80mm, but the holes don't line-up with my MAF.

Has anyone else had this problem; how did you solve it? - I've jury-rigged it with two bolts at opposing corners (one slightly smaller), and using the old K&N adaptor plate to block-off the other holes. It's far from ideal, but it stops un-filtered air getting in.

Anyway, new vs old:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Neither of those really help with the fact that I've bought one and the adaptor for a Skyline and/or Silvia isn't the same as the one for a Pulsar.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's kinda what I've already done. - Put the M's adaptor in it, then put the old (80mm) K&N adaptor behind it, then put one of the original bolts through the mounting hole. I have then rotated the K&N one so it blocks the other holes and uses a smaller bolt to secure the M's adaptor in the diagonally opposite hole.

Maybe the one I've bought fits a Z32? - Seems like this isn't a common problem.

keastygtir

I suspect your right, I bought an apexi filter that the z32 pattern on it and I ended up making an adapter. As you say you can bodge it up if you want to

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My MAF is definitely bigger than 63mm, but it might be 76mm. - The old K&N was 80mm when I measured it, so when I bought the M's I didn't bother measuring the MAF; I just figured it was the same size opening as the old one, and it said it was for a Nissan.

Looks like I should have checked a little closer before I parted with the cash, but I think I can still make it work. A bit of vacuum grease on the seals, so that they don't leak and off I go. - It's not like I really need the old one for anything.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've tried running the car; it starts, but the idle revs are right down (like ~500rpm). Is that normal after fitting the M's?

It could be that I've over-oiled it when I cleaned it before putting it in (and not the MAF is grotty), or could it be that it flows so much better than the old one that I'm going to need to adjust my idle screw? Without an MOT I can't really take it on the road to see if it settles by its self.

skiddusmarkus

I don't see why having more airflow into the engine would drop the revs.Besides, its not going to be sucking in much at tickover anyway that a different filter would makea difference.Are you sure you reconnected the MAF?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes... er... I'm pretty sure. I ran it up to ~5000rpm, but thinking about it that's probably still closed-loop isn't it?

Maybe it's just one of those odd things that the car sometimes does, and will never happen again.

skiddusmarkus

Me and my dad cobbled this one together about 10 years ago.The filter is huge, not seen anothyer as big as this width wise.Am thinking of having a new flange cut now to fit onto my Z32 as the one I have on is half the size.

I made a template out of a cornflakes box to get the shape I needed to cut the steel then rolled it, I can't weld so my dad tacked it up then welded on a 1" strip to form the lip the filter goes onto.Then just cut a flange to fit the MAF and welded that on too, using a cork place mat as a gasket.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oooh that looks good! Any suggestions on who to ask, or anyone who's got access to a lathe and some spare time?