More Torque

M

markwashington

I've just got my pulsar, and I'm looking to increase the torque, It's currently significantly lower than BHP (334 compared to 380) and I was wondering if there was a way to increase torque without massive BHP increases. I'm aiming for 400bhp, and would like a comparable torque figure, I'm also a little unsure if BHP quoted on the site is at the wheels or at the crank, should I just assume wheels?

M

markwashington

It's pretty extensive, I'll get all the docs and write a list, she's in the gerage at the moment (siezed alternator, I was so worried it would be worse!) but when I get her back, I'll give her a really good clean and post all the details on the site. I'm based in West London, Middlesex really but that sounds less glam.

Fusion Ed

Don't be so worried about torque=bhp.

In a very general sense the following applies:
Torque => power = engine that cannot breathe well at high rpm, turbo too small etc.
Torque < power = engine that can breathe well at high rpm/turbo too big etc.

When I see a turbo car where the toque and power are almost the same I know that either the turbo is flat out and it has big mid range boost peak or the engine cannot breathe and so is strangling itself under high boost.

An engine where torque = bhp will be making max power at 5252 RPM. This isn't what you really want is it?, it would run out of 'go' like a diesel.

By the sound of it your engine is breathing quite well. Do you have a power graph to show how its doing?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You figures will be at the flywheel. 400bhp at the wheel cars are few and far between.

Your figures suggest to me that you are making power at high rpm say 7000rpm + so don't worry about it. If you want more torque you'll probably end up shifting the whole power curve to the left and lose top end power.

Ed........ http://www.podiatrist.plus.com/DSCF1619.JPG It doesn't have to be 5252rpm. it's just the figures will be the same at that rpm. (I'm not going to argue about the 2lbft difference, another run could be different by that much)

John

The power and torque is nothing to worry about like others say, mine is exactly like yours and makes peak power at 7k.

Fusion Ed

Ed........ http://www.podiatrist.plus.com/DSCF1619.JPG It doesn't have to be 5252rpm. it's just the figures will be the same at that rpm. (I'm not going to argue about the 2lbft difference, another run could be different by that much)
BHP = Torque (ft/lbs) x rpm/5252. So at 5252rpm on any engine it doesn't matter if its a moped or a lawnmower. Torque and power will always be the same. (but you know that)

What I was trying to say is, its not possible to have for example 400lb and 400BHP @ 7000 RPM, which I think a lot of people think it is.

icecool70

When i had mine rolling roaded mine was 257 bhp and 280 torque... i was expecting it to be the other way round to be honest.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
BHP = Torque (ft/lbs) x rpm/5252. So at 5252rpm on any engine it doesn't matter if its a moped or a lawnmower. Torque and power will always be the same. (but you know that)

What I was trying to say is, its not possible to have for example 400lb and 400BHP @ 7000 RPM, which I think a lot of people think it is.

1) Yes I know.
2) Yes I agree.
3) what I was trying to say is that it is possible to have the same bhp and torque readings but at different rpms. Obviously at those readings the torque wont equal bhp, but you could have 280bhp say at highish rpm and 280lbft at low rpm on the same engine.

M

markwashington

Thanks for the advice and pointers guys,:-D I've put a short spec list for my R in the members R section, no pics yet as it's in the garage, I'll hopefully put some up over the weekend.