Modena LSD vs Phantom Grip

Gwa-r

As the title says i'm after some advise on the two options. I can get my hands on both - the phantom grip is a lot cheaper. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with either of the set up's. After particular feedback from those who were involved in the group buy with Frank @ Modena.

Cheers

I have the modena LSD but have not fitted it yet. looks really nice, perfectly machined , lots of attention to details.
Some guys using it in Australia and NZ are really impressed with the difference it made to the car.
phantom grip is a totally different item and performance cannot be comapred in my opinion.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Steve Ferguson races his Gtir with a phantom grip. Odin had one fitted in his 517bhp car and was impressed with it. It's alot cheaper and does a similar (if not the same) job.

I have the modena and aren't realy sure what to make of it. (maybe I don't realy need it, like most mods:oops:) If you floor it off a roundabout, the steering almost feels like it locks on and you have to fight the wheel to get the lock off. It did seem to help on a large roundabout in the wet, I went round it fast and it felt solid. Drag racing it doesn't seem to stop wheel spin off the line, but I'm wondering if my front dampers could be shot.
It obviously does what it's designed to do, but maybe I just don't push the car that hard enough.

MORF114

I like my modena but i think you have to have the whole suspension set up to use it properly through the corners grips ok in the wet dont really push my car in the wet the rear end tends to try to overtake me , the only downside is the steering is a little bit heavy if there was a downside, both front wheels (actually all 4) were spinning like a mother fucker down the strip but on road i love it, nz doesnt have roundabouts because people are too stupid here to understand how to use them, you really do have to be aggressive with the steering through tight corners i find it grips really well with 330+bhp at the wheels and i think it could cope with more power quite easily,

I would recomend one, but you do have to really push it and be aggressive with the steering imputs to find the grip pull you round the corners.

Gwa-r

Thanks for the reply's. As you said fast guy the price is about £500 Difference which is a lot. The main reason why i am swaying towards the phantom grip. nismo gti-r i'm sure they do the same/similar job. I was worried how it would cope with the track use, but odin's car was running alot more than i intend to. May just have to give it a try.

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
i'm sure they do the same/similar job
the phantom grip attempts to replicate a mechanical diff.
it works, but the difference in price can be compared to the difference in effect.

but if you don't have issues with spinning an inside wheel when cornering then you don't need either :)