Missfire !!!!

Was out in the car last night, and all was running fine.
Until was charging up a slip road and ma speedo cut out and the speed limiter kicked in. so the thing dived, lifted off and then bled the power back in and all of a sudden i have a subaru engine under the bonnet!!!!

Not smokey or anything, just miss firing alot.
Still reved no bother and boost was building up, ie watching the in car gauge just come ouyt of vacuum, didnt want to horse it.

So stopped and had a quick look to make sure everything was tight on it, and it was.

The smorning, when out to start it, first turn of the key and it fires up no bother at all.

So done a fault chaeck, and got

Code 11 - Cam shaft sensor (will this be the dizzy)
Code 21 - Think it was injection signal malfunction
Code 34 - Det sensor, but that could be due to the missfireing.

Took the plugs and done a compression check and have 140 accross all 4 of them.

But plug number 3 was soaking in fuel and black, so i changed that plug for another one.

Started it up but same symptons.

Done a balance check through consult, and 1,4 die about 100 revs.
And 2,you notice a small drop, and number 3 its practically nothing, drops about 10 revs or summit.

Only running standard boost aswell.

ANy help on the codes and possible fault would be appreciated,

Not looked at the dizzy or that yet for cracks but will check laters.

Davie

Last edited:
Found the problem.
Shims on inlet of number 3 had split, so dug them out.
Just need to get some shims and refit, and hopefully i havent done any damage to the valves.

vss irvine

davie if you want to come down tomorrow night ill be at the garage. you can see if you can dig any out from my endless stock!

Spot on buddy, tried calling ya earlier but ya must have been busy.
Will drop down the morra night then buddy and see what i can find.

Cheers again

Braveheart

Good find Davie... hope it sorts it out long term.
Having 3 different ecu faults thrown up is madness... let us know if they clear down!

So do i scott, just got ma license back, and after the 2nd day i break the car already.
But had ma fun in it on new years night, big lorry park near my house was frozen up and empty, so me and ma mate where in their for about 2 hours sliding about.

Braveheart

So do i scott, just got ma license back, and after the 2nd day i break the car already.
But had ma fun in it on new years night, big lorry park near my house was frozen up and empty, so me and ma mate where in their for about 2 hours sliding about.
Fcuk me.... that's a bit exstream compared to two warm up laps, a good thrashing then a cool down.
If you try it again when it's dry and grippy, you can probably throw up a few more fault codes + a whole lot more.
Sure it was loads of fun though:lol:

Be nice to that wee car now!... ;-)