Misfiring!!!

gazgstar

Ok so engine all run in now and I decided today to get some good oil in the car. Car had been running perfectly while running in then after changing the oil I decided to tidy up some of the vacums around the dump valve which resulted in distubing the maf, which then came up on the fault codes. When I sorted that out and cleared the codes I took it for I run and quickly noticed I had a miss from 1.5k to 3k that made the car really ruff on pick up...a lot of stuttering. I have checked all the wiring on it, all vacums and connections, tried another coil and I have no fault codes appearing, any ideas??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Did you knock anything when you were doing your tidying? - I'm assuming the dizzy has stayed-put, but maybe you've knocked the TPS?

gazgstar

I dont think I knocked the dizzy at any point. Where is the TPS? Had the car back out today and the problem seems to be intermittent, which now makes it harder to do checks on it:doh: It had me thinking it was a det problem,as if it was breifly going onto limp mode, but then I never got a code coming up for the det:?

P

pulsarboby

i reckon you have a bad connection on the afm plug....make sure the clips in place and its firmly seated....had this prob on various cars on many occasions

gazgstar

Had a problem with the plug already bob, thought I had it sorted but there could still be a bad connection there somewhere. Although would that not be showing on the fault code?

P

pulsarboby

no if its intermittent it wont always come up as a code. may pay you to splice into the earth wire and run to body and make sure the plug is totally secure or it will give intermittent signals to ecu and booger up running especially when coming on boost.

gazgstar

Finally got round to re-earthing the afm and it's now worse than ever lol instead of being a missfire every now and then it's now a constant miss, doesn't want to idle or give me any power at all really. Have changed plugs,leads and checked further down the harness for any broken wires with no success. I think that the maf is buggered but I have no fault code at all showing up??

keastygtir

I would double check the HT leads. I had the same thing and they all looked good but one wasnt quite pushed home

gazgstar

found the problem at last, after re-earthing maf plug, change leads etc, I swap the maf my dads car and after a few mins the car started to idle better, took it for a drive and all was sorted. So now just need a new maf

hainesz

i had this same issue, but on mine it was the 2 bottom vac hoses on the carbon canister the wrong way round, just swiched them over and that cured it... might be worth a try, well thats if you disconnected them that is...