misfire when cold

PulsarLee

Hi guys,

my R has a crap idle when cold due to the idle control valve having a broken plug connection, i can live with for the time as its ok when warm. However, I also have an occasional misfire on idle when cold. there is no misfire if i hold the revs at say 1000 rpm or above but just have this erratic misfire on low idle (may be on 1 cylinder only). 2 questions please;

will the broken wiring to the idle valve affect the car mixture etc when warm?

any ideas what the erratic misfire on idle may be or could the 2 be connected?

Thanks,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had a slight miss like that, and as Martyn has already suggested, it was due to one broken HT lead. - The crimped end was on the plug, but it wasn't attached to the core of the lead so it was making an intermitant connection.

Pull them off to check them, and if bits stay behind you've found the culprit.

bensmith907

I had a problem where all the rain collected in my wells so check for water there! spray everything in WD40 too. another trick Red Redding told me is to bake your HT leads 80deg for 1 hour

bensmith907

...if you do bake them. make sure you do this before spraying wd40 on them. otherwise like me you WILL be in trouble with the 'Mrs' when everything you cook in there for the next week tastes of oil (I found out the hard way LOL)

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,

Should the idle control valve and viring have nothing to do with the ignition / spark?

As the problem is only from cold and on idle as opposed to any revs, I suspect this may be a plug or dizzy cap issue as the engine is bone dry. Just out of interest what would be the detrement of running 3 BCR8ES plugs and one NGK irridium, as I did this when i didnt have a spare plug to replace a faulty one?

cheers,

Lee