Misfire on gentle acceleration

warringtonjack

Was sound checking my car the other day, and on gentle rev up from idle to 4k, the car misfired a couple of times. When up at 4k was fine and dandy, and didnt appear to have any effect on driving under boost. So tried again when warm, and the same thing happened. Also noticed that its beginning to hunt a bit on idle, certainly not as smooth as it was a few weeks ago. I'm thinking a new set of plugs, leads n dizzy cant hurt, but anybody got any other suggestions?

Cheers

warringtonjack

Well, changed the plugs, made sure they were gapped right (0.7mm), and its struggling to idle worse than ever now. Funnily enough though, if you give it some beans, it seems fine and dandy, its just misfires on idle, or gentle acceleration. Picking up new leads, cap, rotor and fuel filter today, so will see if they sort it. :roll:

I'm guessing it wouldnt be an issue with the fuel pump or Maf because the issue doesnt show itself at high revs / high pressure?? :noidea:

warringtonjack

Well, fitted the new leads, cap and rotor, but still just as bad. Cant for the life of me work out why it idles like crap, but is un-noticeable under revs. :?

Last edited:

warringtonjack

Well, finally worked it out. The pipe running from the pcv had a couple of splits under the pipe clamp. Blocked off the valve with new pipe, and also the inlet to the throttles. Runs fine and dandy now on idle. Just hoping its solved the power loss and afr issue as well. :roll:

youngsyp

warringtonjack said:
Well, finally worked it out. The pipe running from the pcv had a couple of splits under the pipe clamp. Blocked off the valve with new pipe, and also the inlet to the throttles. Runs fine and dandy now on idle. Just hoping its solved the power loss and afr issue as well. :roll:
Nice one mate and thanks for posting up how you resolved it. It makes it so much easier to solve issues if people actually bother to do that. ;-)

Paul

youngsyp

warringtonjack said:
Exactly. It does help doesnt it. :)
Most certainly.
Once that's solved though, we need to get everyone to label their posts with the subject matter. Then the search facility might actually be useful. ;-)

Paul

Mike67

Hi my gtir swap is doing the same thing. Misfire on gentle acceleration around 3k-4k rpm's. Rpms also will drop down even while holding pedal position for 3k rpms. Idel is unstable at times. Can you post a picture of the piping you fixed?

splmum

Hi my gtir swap is doing the same thing. Misfire on gentle acceleration around 3k-4k rpm's. Rpms also will drop down even while holding pedal position for 3k rpms. Idel is unstable at times. Can you post a picture of the piping you fixed?
The last response was 7 1/2 years ago (2008), do you think you will get a picture. Lots of things change, people sell and move on, but another member might be able to help out.
Your situation could be anything, vacuum leak, spark plugs, ignition leads, AFM, knock sensor, anything.
You need to get a copy of the manual that has all the pics and diagrams.

Mike67

I didnt even realize the dates on the post. I have pics and diagrams. I put the engine together. No Vac leaks, i have a new maf z32 with a tuned computer for the maf. I have a custom cold air. Front mount set up and a oil catch can replacing the square blk 1 that mounts forward of the dizzy. Would you happen to know the part number of the plugs i should use? New ignition as well. Im gonna set the timing and check the tps voltage.

splmum

If you are using copper plugs then NGK BKR7E gapped to 0.8mm.
If you are using expensive platinum plugs then NGK PFR6 gapped to 0.8-0.9mm
If you find that you are having hesitation the gap the plugs down, ie to 0.7mm and try.
You may find that, as some other have who run high HP, that the gap can go down to 0.6mm

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do PFR6s run OK on ours? Ours is 7 as standard, 8s is colder for higher power, 6 was an S14 plug or something.

Mike67

4 X DENSO IRIDIUM POWER Technologies Performance Alloy Spark Plugs - IK16 # 5303 is what i have in my engine now. Are those the wrong plugs?