methanol based windscreen washer fluid for water injection.

Keira

Anyone know where i can get some ?

Mikes run out of the stuff we had in there originally, and comma which is what he had have told me theirs is now all made with industrial methylated spirit, halfords is all ethanol based ( no good :( ) or smells of apples or some other fruity object.

Cant find what i want anywhere.

I'm beginning to feel like a weirdo reading the ingrediants of washer fluids in car shops :shock:

Must be methanol based......

Keira

1.1 and 1.3 very max on the overboost.

Havn't got the safc set up yet, once thats doing its job think i'll go for 1.2 and 1.4 on the over boost.

Really just using it as extra protection against det. Mine is set to come in at just under 1 bar.

Guess i'll have to make myself look like a weirdo again today then :?

M

memski

There is a place in Chatham where I got mine ages ago. Can't remember exactly where it was now but it was a model airplane shop, they use it for their radio controlled helicoptors etc :p Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, will post back if I do :)

C

Crazy

Go to Poundland mate, that is were I used to go for mine when I had ERL water injection on my old Cav 4x4 Turbo.

There windscreen wash bottles are massive for a £1 and it says on the back that they contain 52% methanol :wink:

Or if there is no Poundland in your area look for the oldest dirtiest petrol station that you can find and they should also sell some old windscreen wash that contains methanol 8)

C

charlie

im bretty sure my mate just used to run a 50/50 water/methanol mix in his gt4

wont that work?

Keira

reason for screenwash is mines tapped into the washer bottle,

methanol based screenwash not only keeps the windscreen clean it also bumps the octane rating and gives you hands as soft as your face :? :)

A

Anders

Kieron,

I used to purchase pure methanol from my local model shop. About £5 for a gallon! Just say you are mixing fuels for a model car with a glow fuel engine. If they don't stock it they can get it in for you. I wouldn't want to use screen wash for water injection as its too foamy and has other additives that discolour the plugs. The good thing is that you can still use a methanol/water mix for the screen wash too.

Andy

Keira

Did the pound land thing, only had methanol free.

Went to my local model shop and ordered myself a gallon of pure methanol :twisted:

Thanks for your help chaps 8)

A

Anders

kieron said:
Did the pound land thing, only had methanol free.

Went to my local model shop and ordered myself a gallon of pure methanol :twisted:

Thanks for your help chaps 8)
Your R will love you for it!!! :lol:

C

Crazy

Make sure that it is the one that is completely clear fluid and is like water, because a friend managed to get me some Methalated spirits which was pink and thick like glue :?

Not good :shock:

Pure methanol...................................NICE :p 8)

M

memski

Cool, can you pm me the details of this shop - will be closer to me than Chatham :D

A

Anders

memski said:
Cool, can you pm me the details of this shop - will be closer to me than Chatham :D
Bud,

go to http://www.modeltechnics.com, UK price list and scroll down to Hi Proof Methanol. £5.95 is the retail price so that is what you would pay in any model shop. You should be able to buy it in 4 x 1 gal containers but they should be able to put you in contact with your nearest local supplier if you only want 1. I think postage is pretty expensive with flammable liquids!

Also, make sure you don't store pure methanol in your house or garage. As soon as you have it home, mix it with 50% water to make it safe.

Andy

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You've done me a favour reviving this one Boby; I was wondering where I could get methanol to run an aquamist.
I was just going to steal it from work or ask one of our suppliers if they'd sell it to me directly.