max lift brian crower valve springs

red reading

They can be used but they don't work very well due to the ramp angles for the hydraulic lifters fitted in the other sr engines , bc springs are rated for there cams to 12.5mm lift. you need to look at the spring rate as well not just the max lift. kelford/supertech is the way foward mark.

Be carful on the higher lifts as well as some of the springs need the spring seats machining to fit and work.

red reading

Depends on the lift marc, why are you doing this what is the goal? as it may be cheaper and easier to fit a vvl head (280 ish degree as standard on the high lobe)

williams

Where do you get the vvl heads alone? All I have been able to find is complete engine for near around 1k.I haven't decided on a turbo to use yet. Busy b uilding. My engine 1st then going to get a turbo. Got all my bottom end parts so will be starting on the head next.

chopper

didnt know about newman cams... but they do a good selection and not bad price either!
good info mate!
good luck with the build

williams

te price shown is + vat but it still a good price. they always seem to make good power in other makes of engine. catcams are also good but dont do many turbo specific cams for the sr20.

Murff93GTiR

What is a vvl head and if you were to change it does it require alot of mucking around with the management etc?is there any advantage of it?

watoga

Danny,

Are you running (or intend on running) a VVL head from an SR16VE, SR20VE, or SR20VET? Would I be correct in assuming the optimal cam profiles for a VVL head conversion come with the SR20VET head?

Cheers,
Dave

depends on the size of the turbo you intend to use, sr20ve's are good for small and medium frame turbos, sr16's are good for larger turbos. 20v's are meant to offer the best of both worlds but due to rarity there aren't many results out there. I would have thought N1's have a touch too much overlap for a turbo engine, but you could always get verniers sprockets to time it out.

red reading

sr20ve with n1 cams, no i'm not running it yet its on the bench as a paper weight. but me and a friend will hopefully be putting it on a big bore/ shorter stroke bottom end.

STU666V

This is a full SR20DET/VE head build for a customer in Norway. We have worked this thing from top to bottom. It also is getting our SS Series Top Mount Turbo Kit. Specs on this motor as follows:
Mazworx 2.2L Short Block
Darton Sleeves bored to 90mm
CP Pistons
Carrillo I-Beam Rods
Mazworx Main Stud Kit
Mazworx 1/2″ Headstud Kit
Mazworx/PE 90mm 1.2 headgasket
Mazworx VE Stage 2 head
Mazworx 90mm CNC Combustion Chamber
Supertech Valvetrain
Kelford Custom Turbo VE Cams
Stage 2 port and polish
Mazworx VVL Conversion Kit
Mazworx VE intake manifold
Q45 Throttle body
AEM Pencil Coils
Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors
GReddy Oil Pan
ATI Super Damper
Exedy Twin Plate Clutch

http://mazworx.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/another-engine-build/

Last edited:

STU666V

Nissan Ecology Oriented Variable Valve Lift and Timing (commonly known as VVL) is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Nissan. VVL varies the timing, duration, and lift of valves by using hydraulic pressure switch between two different sets of camshaft lobes. It functions similarly to Honda's VTEC system.
The SR20VE is the most common engine with NEO VVL. There have been two main versions of this engine. The first version made 187 hp (139 kW) and 145 lb·ft (197 N·m) torque. This engine was used by Nissan from 1997 to 2001. It is found in the Nissan Primera, Nissan Bluebird, and the Nissan Wingroad.
The second variant of the SR20VE is found only in the 2001 and later P12 Nissan Primera. This version of the SR20VE makes 204 hp (152 kW), and 152 lb·ft (206 N·m) torque. This engine is commonly known as the SR20VE '20V'. Although, in automotive terms, '20V' would normally be interpreted as having twenty valves, this is incorrect. The name '20V' is the name of the trim level of the Nissan Primera that it is found in. It is also a shortened version of the name SR20VE. This engine has 16 valves like the rest of the SR20 engines. This newer '20V' engine, is the only SR20 engine to get a restyled valve cover. It also has an upgraded intake manifold, which has longer runners and a larger 70 mm (2.8 in) throttle body (earlier SR20VE has 60 mm).
Another version of the VVL SR engines, is the 1.6 L SR16VE. The engine block for the SR16VE is the same as the SR20VE; it also has the same cylinder bore. The crankshaft has a shorter stroke, which lowers the displacement, but allows the engine to safely rev to higher RPM. Although this engine has 1.6 L of displacement, it has more aggressive camshaft specifications. It manages to make 173 hp (129 kW). The camshafts from this engine are considered to be an upgrade for SR20VE owners.
From 1997 to 1998, Nissan produced 500 limited-edition SR16VE N1 engines. These engines made 197 hp (147 kW). They had further upgraded camshafts, upgraded intake manifold using eight injectors and a larger 70 mm (2.8 in) throttle body. These engines were found in the limited-edition Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1. They were only sold in Japan.
The most powerful VVL engine so far is the SR20VET. The SR20VET is a turbocharged '20V' SR20VE. It uses a Garrett GT2560R turbocharger, and makes 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp). Nissan's technical information about this engine states that it is 9:1 compression ratio, but it really adds up to 8.8:1.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Compared to the SR20DET (used in the Nissan Silvia, and Bluebird), the SR20VET (aside from having VVL technology) has improved airflow in the cylinder head, higher compression, and also improved coolant passages.
In 1998 Nissan's RB engine was also improved using the VVL NEO Head Technology, which provided the motor better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions to keep up with emission standards.
One difference from Honda's VTEC system is that NEO VVL engages the change of intake and exhaust cams independently for a flatter, more consistent power band. On the SR20VE, the intake camshaft is switched at 5000 rpm, and the exhaust at 6500 rpm. However this trait was not included on the newer '20V' version, as both camshafts engage at the same RPM.