Max Boost

A

Anonymous

Hi all

I just bought a R. And its my first car! The car is totally standard. I recently put on a 3" exhaust and a pod filter. And yesterday i put in a 2 stage boost controller (Lo-Hi).
My question is what is the maximum safe boost that i can run on my R,considerin that it basicly standrd (intercooler ,turbo etc) ?

And another thing, when i put the pedal to the metal i see a hint of smoke from the exhaust. Is that normal?

Hope u can help
Thnx in advance....... :D

S

Sirnixalot

I know the search function is a little difficult to get specifics on but i just used max boost and highest boost to get the answers you needed. Not trying to be a search nazi but i garuntee that the questions you are going to ask after this have been covered.

That being said you can run up to 1.2-1.4 bar on a standard engine....but you really should get it setup on a dyno with at least an APexi SAFC when running that high boost.

GTIR-LOZ

well usually people run 1 bar but this will cause the clutch to slip so an uprated one is essential, above that 1.2 bar seems to be ok, but you will need to have a uprated fuel pump and maybe fuelcontoller, prob best as standard ecu can only flow enough fuel for 1.2 bar so may be a little lean, 1.4 bar has been achieved on standard internals but is a bit risky i would only consider that for extreme emergancys i.e scramble overboost settings also the more boost you use the quicker things will wear such as the turbo, gearbox - rated until 350bhp roughly and engine itself, if you go over 1 bar a front mount intercooler becomes essential in my view and the top mount is not as efficient at those pressures

it depends on the colour of smoke from the exhaust a bit of balck smoke is normal on turbo charged vehicles only a small amount though if its blue, its oil getting into the exhaust from a leaking component valve oil seals etc, white is water into exhaust, leaking headgasket etc