Interesting tech read on their site;

>Thermo Data<

Was tricky in places as pipes are tight and i also cleaned up the inner welds
and smoothed the end of the pipes good old scotch brite :thumbsup:

leaving a smoother bore

J

jpward

andygtir said:
thats what i used on my ic pipework - really does do the business!
Would you not have been better using the alu Thermo shield wrap for the IC pipes?

andygtir

it seems to work - i can hold the hot side pipe run straight out of the turbo now, the pipe is only 'warm' to touch. the plenium side is always nice and cold- the heat wrap iself is cold so the charge temp must be nice and stable. before i wrapped the pipework even the cold pipe would heat up quite significantly.

J

jpward

andygtir said:
it seems to work - i can hold the hot side pipe run straight out of the turbo now, the pipe is only 'warm' to touch. the plenium side is always nice and cold- the heat wrap iself is cold so the charge temp must be nice and stable. before i wrapped the pipework even the cold pipe would heat up quite significantly.
I dont doubt it works ok just that the new stuff is designed to reflect heat where as the Copper Gen II is to keep heat in! and it looks to be easier to put on too being self adhesive and wont make a mess of the place nither :lol:

J

jpward

following on from a PM reply "Did you use a Die grinder and did you do it quickly?"

Off quick :lol: :lol: :lol:

No i was a little angry 3 pipes were acceptible but #3 had a few lumps of crap in it and my power file is bust so it was a slow sanding job (60G) by hand first then with the scotch brite to polish up the bore's because the Fabricators used a die grinder and left lots of cross scoring :evil:

The T25 mount was the hardest bit as it is a bit deeper to get at but if you had a powerfile and some 80G or 120G belts it should come up fine remember not to take too much off as these welds are only light Tig and tend not to be as strong as Say a Mig or Stick but look nicer! So only take off the min amount possible

Then before wrapping i washed the Mani in a strong solution of degreaser in the sink with boiling water and then dried with a heat gun (Warning it gets very hot but a hairdrier will do if youve no gun) and this makes sure all the moisture and crap wont contaminate the underside of the wrap

Jp

andygtir

jpward said:
I dont doubt it works ok just that the new stuff is designed to reflect heat where as the Copper Gen II is to keep heat in! and it looks to be easier to put on too being self adhesive and wont make a mess of the place nither :lol:
but i want to keep the heat in!

on the hot side i want to keep the heat in the pipework to stop it heating up the engine bay. on the cold side i want the heat to stay in the engine bay and not heat up my nice cold pipework.

at the end of the day its just insulation, it slows the heat transfer down whether it be from the pipe to air, or air to pipe. its neat and relatively cheap.

J

jpward

andygtir said:
but i want to keep the heat in!

on the hot side i want to keep the heat in the pipework to stop it heating up the engine bay. on the cold side i want the heat to stay in the engine bay and not heat up my nice cold pipework.

at the end of the day its just insulation, it slows the heat transfer down whether it be from the pipe to air, or air to pipe. its neat and relatively cheap.
Thats the most poetic thing anyone has ever said to me :lol: :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

jpward said:
Then before wrapping i washed the Mani in a strong solution of degreaser in the sink with boiling water and then dried with a heat gun (Warning it gets very hot but a hairdrier will do if youve no gun) and this makes sure all the moisture and crap wont contaminate the underside of the wrap

Jp

i bet your wife went NUTS!:lol:8) dont overwrap or it will crack quicker;-) :p :-D

J

jpward

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i bet your wife went NUTS!:lol:8) dont overwrap or it will crack quicker;-) :p :-D
Not married yet but i almost put it in the dish washer :lol: :lol:

It is Stainless after all!!

Oh and its max 1/4" overlap

J

jpward

Cheers its a bit rough round the edges but not bad for a first attempt hehe :oops:

Doing the Quad and also the downpipe next week so should turn out better :thumbsup:

J

jpward

Simmo said:
Where did you buy it JP?

My supplier let me down...
RPM Motorsport

01920 460800

Based in Ware ;-)

Remember to get straps!

maz

looks like u did a good job, can you get that stuff in a different look? its like your grans tights have been wrapped round it :p

J

jpward

maz said:
looks like u did a good job, can you get that stuff in a different look? its like your grans tights have been wrapped round it :p
It's supposed to look like that thou you can order spray with the wrap and simply spray on when wrapped and secured it will also help heat retention and waterproofness and comes in black silver and red as far as i can remember ;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

you can get exhaust wrap stainless cable ties and loads of other heat proofing/shield stuff from Proven Products 01822613200 they have a website iirc;-)

stu