MAF Maintenance

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The other weekend I was doing some routine maintenance on my car and decided to take a look at my Z32 MAF. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos but the sensor itself was clearly covered in a thin film of dirt. This will be from a few years of driving but also I've had my car laid up for two years.

I bought a can of contact cleaner from Halfords for £4 as it was the only place open. To be cautious I sprayed from about 3" away from the sensor. After heavy spraying and then leaving it to dry for 10 minutes the sensor got fairly clean. As I was in no rush I kept doing this until I'd used most of the can.

At the end of it the sensor looked like new.

Unfortunately I decided to remap my "commuting" map since I returned to UK as it was running a little rich for my liking. After cleaning the sensor it now runs a little lean :doh:

Ah well, looks like I'll have to map that bit again.

Just thought I'd post up my experience so other people check their sensor first if their car is running a little rich rather than afterwards.

A £4 can of contact cleaner is far cheaper than a tuner.

Jim

Last edited:

olliecast

Exactly the same happened with mine Jim
I used contact cleaner with a cotton bud, plenty of dirt from years of driving and over oiled filters covered it.

looked like new after though.

Cheers,
ollie

darkyGTI-R

I cleaned my afm with a cotton bud looked like new and went into limp mode on the night wouldn't boost above 2500rpm:(
Next morning ran fine after the contacts had dried over night I would of thought lol

Fusion Ed

Unfortunately I decided to remap my "commuting" map since I returned to UK as it was running a little rich for my liking. After cleaning the sensor it now runs a little lean :doh:

Jim
That's interesting, I have expected the oil film to act as an insulator to the hot wire, and so prevent it cooling causing it to go lean, not the other way round.

Makes me want to grab a afm and give it a go now lol.