Losing Oil trought Breather Filter

dave

Hi, i really apreciate anyone help concercing this, thanks in advance.

Problem is:
I noticed that i m losing too much oil trought the little filter or breather filter of the rocker cover, for example i change my engine oil last week, everything ok but now, now i check my oil level and is practically at low or L.​

my setup: STOCK
- Stock 444cc injectors
- FMIC
- MSD 6A and SS Blaster coil.
- spark plugs IK22 denso. gapped .8
- stock turbo, stock boost 9psi
- stock fuel pump.
- Total Seal Piston rings
- cometic head gasket
- decat, 3" complete direct exhaust.
- timing 20deg
- battery and washer relocated.
- only an extra gauge autometer boost gauge.
- GAB adjustable suspension

basic troubleshooting
- i check oil filter is ok, no leaks there
- i am using normal oil castrol 10w40 , my temps here not pass 90 deg C. i had used 5w50 mobil 1 full syntec but i have not feel any difference.
- i have tried differents oil filters same issue.
- i check distributor O-ring and replaced no leak there but still blow out oil trought the breather filter.

i dont know if there is a problem with the OEM oil catch can or something please help me or advise!!!...

Regards, Dave.

Where do you mean exactly? Have you got an aftermarket oil catch can? The oil seperator, the little black thing to the front right of the rocker cover returns oil back to the sump. Do you get any blue smoke when you're driving?

dave

i not have an oil catch can, i have a breather filter there, and it throw oil trought that breather filter, as i know is normal to throw a little bit of oil but not as much as 1quarter of oil, none smoke from the back.

should i make a compression test?

i take out the spark plugs and they looks fine none oil.

O

Odin

dave said:
i not have an oil catch can, i have a breather filter there, and it throw oil trought that breather filter, as i know is normal to throw a little bit of oil but not as much as 1quarter of oil, none smoke from the back.

should i make a compression test?

i take out the spark plugs and they looks fine none oil.

Sounds to me like your rings could be worn and its pressurizing the crank case to much, I had similar symptoms when My ring lands went and it blew loads of oil into my catch tank.

Rob

mattytappy

you feeling alright odin...you must be unwell as your never that nice....you must have got all your ironing done for the day and its that ,thats cheered you up:washing:

neil240z

yep, I go with Rob, there is nothing more fitting than high crank case pressure to cause those symptoms, rebuild time!

take the oil filler cap off and check how much pressure is coming out (maybe oil too) when the engine is running.

Last edited:

kyepan

buy a compression tester (£10) and do a compression test on each cylinder, normal values for the pulsar should be available via the search, that will confirm if rob is correct and your piston rings are worn.

J

dave

compression test mark 150psi in all 4 cylinders, i recently remove my engine out, take out pistons and found 3 pistons cracked between the 1st and 2nd ring, rings were ok.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
so you had the engine apart, found 3 cracked pistons, replaced the damaged pistons AND THEN USED THE OLD RINGS !!!!??? :der:

dave

hahaha good question, i have not build the engine yet, i am waiting for the pistons to arrive this week or the next...

the old rings were Total seal and not cheap, they looks fine, but i m thinking in buying a new set. but not total seal... any other brand good for a good price? i saw NPR cheap but seems to be good quality... any suggestions? anyone have used old rings?

PulsarTom

Right im getting a lot of build up in my catch can, but only happened since my rocker cover started leaking where a bolt is spinning in its hole, so do you reckon that when ive tapped a new hole and got rocker cover properly sealed all the way round then the oil buil up might stop?! Ive got no smoke out of the back and no other signs of losing oil anywhere else! thanks Tommy

dave

how much boost you are running? if you are running a lot of boost is normal to have a oil catch can, but if you are running less than 1bar you may have the piston groove for pistons rings broken, that happen to me i check compression and mark fine, but it throw oil trough the oil breather, when i rebuild my engine found that i had 3 pistons with the pistons groove rails broken.

dave

always check your compression, check oil level, check spark plugs, check filters, normal troubleshooting.