Losing Coolant

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
justin666 said:
Looks like the pump has been on the way out for a while hence why ive only been loosing small amounts of coolant with no obvious leaks. Def worth checkin out mate.

J.
Water pumps normally have a small tell tale hole in them designed to leak abit when the pump is on the way out, so that you know to save up for a new one :p

Gray

Well im not sure if its connected but when the engine is cold I'm hearing a electric sounding whirring noise could this be a sign of the water pump about to go pop? The sound goes higher pitched with the revs.

I'm not to sure where the water pump is or how to check if it has a slight leak.

Gray

Two weeks have gone now and its lost about half a pint.
I ran my finger underneath the hose from the top of the radiator to the engine block and where it goes onto the block I ran my finger under and there was quite a few drops under there and it had been dripping (slowly onto the alternator is it? underneath this pipe so this would also explain why i wasnt seeing it on the drive. Also on the plastic guards under the alternator are always wet im not sure this is from oil or water but oil would dry up eventually?

Anyway, I have tightened the jubilee and stuck another jubilee next to that one, when I undid the jubilee clip about a turn it started dripping out quite fast so maybe under pressure and over time it was dripping out of this point? I'm hoping two tight jubilees will solve the problem.

I also checked out my radiator and it looks quite battered on the front of it on the drivers side a few holes in it, could it leak from there also? Think I might need a new radiator how much is it for one?

Also I have a lot of dried white splashes on my rocker cover directly back from where the radiator cap is, I bought one of those nismo radiator cap jobbies off ebay, could this be leaking under pressure also?

paz

So that would be the pipe I said to check then? Fuck me, its possible I could have been right about something :lol:

I'd suggest you clean it as well if thats the one, loads of shite can build up underneath!

Paz

Gray

There was quite a bit of black residue under there but i got most of it on my hands now rather than the engine.

It might still be leaking from the radiator cap and radiator itself also.

Gray

Checked under the pipe again and there were no drips and everything was drying up underneath. It definitely looks like this is where it was leaking from as the wetness on the chassis and plastic guards is directly under were it would run off the alternator.

Checked my water level and it's still the same but thats only been one day so it could still drop yet have to see again in another week or so but hopefully it's looking good.

Also, is coolant supposed to smell like white spirit??

Gray

Yeah, i thought it might be leaking from this also? It is one of those Nismo ones of ebay, reckon I should put my old one back on?

Gray

Is 20psi too high? Is that why it would of been escaping through the loose clip? The leak happened before I put the rad cap on though. I've got two jubilee clips holding the pipe on now though. The rad cap says 1.3BAR? The original is 1.0?

Job Jobbed?? What does that mean lol

Also does coolant smell like white spirit? :D

Dooie Pop Pop

Gray said:
Is 20psi too high? Is that why it would of been escaping through the loose clip? The leak happened before I put the rad cap on though. I've got two jubilee clips holding the pipe on now though. The rad cap says 1.3BAR? The original is 1.0?

Job Jobbed?? What does that mean lol

Also does coolant smell like white spirit? :D
well if a clip was loose then changing from an OLD tired 9psi rad cap to a nice NEW and fresh 20 psi one would have made a difference to the negative side of things :lol: without taking the p1ss (much) you do understand what psi means dont you?.....as in pounds of PRESSURE per square inch?

im gonna go count to ten for a bit :(

Gray

Yes I know what PSI is. :roll:
I just didn't know the PSI of the original cap or what PSI the new cap would be. Obviously if its higher PSI the pressure would cause any leaks to increase.

Nor did I know what Job Jobbed meant :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

good! another happy gtiroc ending..... :D :D :D

cant believe you didn' t know what 'job jobbed' means :roll: :wink: :lol:

you should have know it was unsafe to go over one bar with taking precautions :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: tbh though if your using the original water hoses putting an uprated rad cap on is asking for trouble imo :wink: your better off doing it properly and getting an oil cooler and larger rad :p

stu