losing coolant

It's not leaking from anywhere i'm pretty sure but even if I keep topping it up the level keeps dropping till there's only a little left in the expansion bottle. If it's not leaking any suggestions as to why the level keeps dropping... :?:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Cambridge_pulsar said:
It's not leaking from anywhere i'm pretty sure but even if I keep topping it up the level keeps dropping till there's only a little left in the expansion bottle. If it's not leaking any suggestions as to why the level keeps dropping... :?:

It could be leaking when hot or under presure... When you are driving along one of the pipes or the Rad itself could be venting out water...

Or your Head Gasket could have gone...

Rishi...

O

Odin

Well it could be the head gasket, Have you checked the oil?.

Also my old pulsar did this and it took me ages to find the problem :cry: , It turned out to be a very fine crack in the the plastic end tank of my rad, It would only spray out a very fine mist when the car was hot.

rob

paz

My R was doing this. It turned out that the problem was water was leaking out very slightly under pressure from where the water pipe goes into the block (I think this is the thermostat but I'm not sure). The part I'm talking about is on the front right hand side of the engine, where a large water pipe runs into the block.

The pipe itself can crack due to age, or develop a build up which breaks the seal of the clamp. I removed the hose, cleaned the deposits from the end and clamped it with a new clamp. This stopped the water leak.

The leak itself wasn't that visible as it was only a drip every 30 seconds or so. I could however with the benefit of hindsight see white coolant stains under the section that was leaking.

Hope this helps.

Paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Also check that it isn't leaking into the car as it would if the heater matrix had split.

L

LoXy

hope its not 1 of the 2 water pipes behind the block, its an engine out job to fix O_O

mattygti-r

paz said:
My R was doing this. It turned out that the problem was water was leaking out very slightly under pressure from where the water pipe goes into the block (I think this is the thermostat but I'm not sure). The part I'm talking about is on the front right hand side of the engine, where a large water pipe runs into the block.

The pipe itself can crack due to age, or develop a build up which breaks the seal of the clamp. I removed the hose, cleaned the deposits from the end and clamped it with a new clamp. This stopped the water leak.

The leak itself wasn't that visible as it was only a drip every 30 seconds or so. I could however with the benefit of hindsight see white coolant stains under the section that was leaking.

Hope this helps.

Paz
exactly the problem i had the past month, it destroyed the altenrator too :(

even thou i used samco hoses too

paz

mattygti-r said:
paz said:

Hope this helps.

Paz

Think mine was a close run thing, alternator must have got water in it because it got noisy, but then I think its dried out because its spott on again now *touch wood* :lol:

Shame to hear that though fella :(

paz

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
paz said:
mattygti-r said:
paz said:

Hope this helps.

Paz

Think mine was a close run thing, alternator must have got water in it because it got noisy, but then I think its dried out because its spott on again now *touch wood* :lol:

Shame to hear that though fella :(

paz

i may have damaged mine too... I was taking of one of the rad pipes and ended up with water pissing all over the alternator... :(

Looks ok just now but we'll see how long it lasts... :(

Rishi