Little Bit Of Smoke

GTiR_Mic

Got a wee problem with me car.

On boost the car runs superb and holds boost as well with no smoke going out but while driving normaly and slowing down there is reek of black smoke coming out the back.

It smells of oil but the pressure is holding perfect.

After having an inspectiona d also getting a garage to look at it it is coming down to the turbo.

One of the previous owners must have got the manifold taken off and when it was put back on they have used exhaust putty putting it on :shock: and it is now flaking a lot and it seems as if the stuff has got into the trubo and casuing it to smoke.

Does that sound about right to yous???

Michael

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Nah you would have noticed it earlier... Black smoke is usually overfueling... Since you haven't done anything since buying it i would say air leak which would mean you would overfuel... Although you don't usually see smoke until higher you are at higher rpm, load and speed...

If its actually slightly grey it could be the turbo itself... Oil seal on the turbo would be blue/grey smoke...

Black is usually over fuel...

Rishi

antgtir

Id go with Rishi on this one, sounds like an air leak more than anything from your description. Check your oil level and keep an eye on it over the next few days as im sure if its an oil leak/turbo problem the leves will change pretty soon.

On alot of the uprated R's with FMIC and polished pipes lol when unleashed the pipes blow off and all you see is black smoke bellowing out of the R, due to overfueling. I would look for hairline cracks in pipework and intercooler first before worrying too much, once youve done that you could always remove the turbo and inspect the inside see if there is any play in the blades or contamination etc.

Ant.

Rishi

Pull hose off the intake of the turbo... Look for contamination... This is an easy one...

Oil burns blue... But it worries me that you get any kind of smoke even black at low rpm...

If your oil pressure is ok then its unlikely to be the engine itself... Take the spark plugs out and have a lookie for oil in the cylinders... Compression test too... Just to eliminate all that...

Remove the turbo and give that a good lookie too...

I could tell you if i saw it.... If you want to stop by Aberdeen i could have a lookie... Alternatively you can always go and annoy Rob as i'll be training for most of this evening...

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

Today I found out I need a new Turbo :cry:

Took the intake pupe off the turbo and it was in a bit of a mees from the pipe work off the turbo.

Done a comp test as well and all is good and the plugs are in good condidtion as well.

Michael

O

Odin

JIMMYBACK said:
wot u mean a mess :shock:
It wasn't that bad but there's quite a bit of fresh oil in the intercooler pipework :cry: , And seeing as his engine seem's to be in very good nick and he has a oil breather system fitted. The oil can only really be comeing from the turbo seals :cry: :cry: .

rob

Rishi

Just make sure it doesn't get into the engine or you'll end up with DET....

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

RishiGTiR said:
Just make sure it doesn't get into the engine or you'll end up with DET....

Rishi
May as well put the car off the road then till I get it fixed....what you think??

Michael

Dooie Pop Pop

take the turbo elbow off, you may have oil coming through the exhaust side as well :(

i predict a 'what turbo' thread appearing soon btw :lol:

stu

GTiR_Mic

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i predict a 'what turbo' thread appearing soon btw :lol:

stu
Nah can't see that happning, the tubro sittuation is already under way :wink:

Do you think it could be down to what oil was running in the car could have affected this? Car is running 10/60 engine oil.

GTiR_Mic

Im not really sure on that if it was changed by previous owners at all. Still standard T28 with 109k on the clock.

Michael