large exhaust box

jamesgtir

my 3 inch exhaust is a bit to loud for my liking & with noise tests getting lower & lower its time for a large backbox.
i understand a few guys have used pipewerx to have a large box fitted but they are to far from me so my plan is to buy a box from them & have it fitted local to me. if any one could give me the measurements of this exhaust it would be much appreciated?

ive been in contact with pipeworx & they can make any size but need measurements.
im thinking perhaps 9x6 or 9x5 and either 400 or 450 long.

thanks in advance

vpulsar

my 3 inch exhaust is a bit to loud for my liking & with noise tests getting lower & lower its time for a large backbox.
i understand a few guys have used pipewerx to have a large box fitted but they are to far from me so my plan is to buy a box from them & have it fitted local to me. if any one could give me the measurements of this exhaust it would be much appreciated?

ive been in contact with pipeworx & they can make any size but need measurements.
im thinking perhaps 9x6 or 9x5 and either 400 or 450 long.

thanks in advance

That's my old car that was custom made at AAS in Newcastle and was very quiet when poodling along and very track friendly.

Rob

vpulsar

How many silencers were in that system Rob?
Two mate you can see them both in that picture, The front one was long thin and then the big back one that is a bit like the standard pulsar exhaust but doesn't cross back on its self hence why it exits the wrong side of the car.

Rob

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that's how Jim (and possibly Geoff) have theirs too; one of the "hot dog" style silencers in the pipework, then a large back box on the other side so that the pipework doesn't need to be bent back on its self. - I'm sure Geoff will correct me if I've got that wrong.

Looks pretty similar to the above.

I think there are also a couple of people who just have the largest "linear" boxes they can fit at each point between the front pipe and the exit; that seems to work quite well too.

vpulsar

The good thing about mine and Jim's design of system is that its not only quiet it also flows very well indeed, My car dyno'd 519 bhp at 1.9 bar so you don't necessary need to be loud to get good results, Plus being a tad quieter means the plod doesn't bother you so much, In Fact in the ten years I owned my Pulsar I never got stopped once mind you they wiggled they finger at me a few times when I had the goose fitted lol.

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
so my plan is to buy a box from them & have it fitted local to me. if any one could give me the measurements of this exhaust it would be much appreciated?
Dont bother with that, just find a reputable local exhaust shop and have them custom/amend your current exhaust.

Exhaust boxes are mainly the same.

Granted mine system has been made up by Pipewerx (which I personally spec'd), but it doesn't have massive back box like that, just a larger replacement silencer where the CAT used to live and a smaller silcencer just before the diff.

At the GTIROC trackday it pumped out 90db's when tested!

Also I replaced 5" trumpet tailpipe to a 3" straight cut one which also made a small contribution to reducing noise and performance wise there is very little if any drop.

In a nutshell, just find someone local and ave yourself some £££'s :thumb:

geoff pine

Mine has a janspeed decat muffler and a rear box 47cm long x23 cm wide which exits on the passenger side if it was any larger you would not be able to use the existing hanger points . It is probably the same size as Jim,s in the photo

jamesgtir

Dont bother with that, just find a reputable local exhaust shop and have them custom/amend your current exhaust.

Exhaust boxes are mainly the same.

Granted mine system has been made up by Pipewerx (which I personally spec'd), but it doesn't have massive back box like that, just a larger replacement silencer where the CAT used to live and a smaller silcencer just before the diff.

At the GTIROC trackday it pumped out 90db's when tested!

Also I replaced 5" trumpet tailpipe to a 3" straight cut one which also made a small contribution to reducing noise and performance wise there is very little if any drop.

In a nutshell, just find someone local and ave yourself some £££'s

thats what i already have mate. one large box where the decat would be then a smaller box before the diff & a rear box (center exit)
still to loud tho. will try post pics up.

jamesgtir

thanks matey. much appreciated :thumbsup:

Mine has a janspeed decat muffler and a rear box 47cm long x23 cm wide which exits on the passenger side if it was any larger you would not be able to use the existing hanger points . It is probably the same size as Jim,s in the photo

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
That "middle box" is much smaller than what I have. Mine is at least twice as wide as yours.

Granted I had to removed my CAT shield to get that silencer in, but it made a big difference. I'd look at having that middle box replaced or the rear silencer (pictured) should be replaced with a larger box.

However my main point is that someone local to you could make that up or supply and fit than faffing about getting silencer boxes shipped and costing £££'s.