lamba sensor ?

D

damien4uuk

Just latley my little r is really strugling to idel, It will sit between 300 800 rpm bouncing up and down. Keeps sounding like its going to stall. If i do a fault code check it just comes up 55. Ive looked at the plugs (their new) and there black im asuming thats due to over fueling. doesnt drive to great and to be honest i dont really want to while its like this. I will add that about 3000 miles ago i put a full s/s exhaust on but never conected the little lamba probe back into the exhaust!!! its run ok till recently will this cause a problem?

hmmm

Check the MAF and the connection to the MAF. Look at the pins in the plug. Sometimes this can get loose and will cause the problems you are describing.

D

damien4uuk

Tried the maf fixings and all is how it should be, no lose connections. Still farting around really bad, it stops farting about as soon as you get to about 3000 rpm and when you let off it sounds like its going to stall again. Really peing me of now i just want it sorted without costing the earth. Any other ideas??

GTIR-LOZ

prob an air leak mate, check all your hoses etc for splits, or hanging off, spray wd40 around if you have some and listen for the engine revs to increase, thats where the leak is!

hmmm

The four rubber caps that go over the throttle bodies mat be missing, or water in the spark plug holes.

F

Fusion Ed

Yes best bet is to stick a vacume gauge on the inlet manifold (after the TBs) you should be around -0.4 to -0.5 bar.

D

damien4uuk

I gave my r a really good lookover and there are no leaks, I dont have a vacume guage and will try at the weekend to get one. I also took it for a drive and it went really well untill i go to stop and then its the normal going to stall feeling. Are you sure it will have nothing to do with the sensor that came out of the cat??
P.S thanks for the replys really helpfull.

G

GTI-R Kid

The sensor in the cat is only a temp sensor. It illuminates the warning light on the dash when the cat is getting too hot as it can break down inside over a certain temperature. When you fit a de-cat then this sensor can be binned, or put aside in case you need to re-fit the cat for an MOT or something.

The lamda probe is fitted into the exhaust system immediately after the turbo - screwed into the dump-pipe. Do you have this connected?