Knock knock sound when turning right

vizi0n

Hey there everyone!

My car has been doing some knock knock knock knock sound from time to time when I'm turning right at a 90 degrees corner. It doesn't happen all the time but it is a bit annoying and seems like its coming from the passenger side, at the rear (I don't have any feelings of it in the steering wheel)

I haven't had a look yet as it's been raining for the past few days but nothing seems to be loose from a quick "get on my knees and check" point of view

Got any ideas about what I should be looking for? I'm not thinking a CV joint would sound like that, unless this sound is particular on AWD cars? I'm used to my Integra's front CV clicking sound :) And the CV boots are good at the rear

Thanks

Frank

Last edited:

djdoc360

some one told me if u have the nismo diff it does that sound. i could be wrong though. any one else have any input? the guy i bought my gtir said that he swapped the nismo tranny and diffs in my car. i sounds like there engauging.

P

pulsarboby

only thing i can assume is that it maybe a tiebar bush or tca check all your bushes, joints etc to make sure theres no wear (preferably whilst car is on the ground.
another suggestionis simple but wheelnuts! are they tight?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My rear diff is making that noise now, more noticable in reverse. I had a check underneath a month ago and there was definately some play in the drive shaft. I can't remember a precise time it started as I think it just suddenly got a lot worse rather than was never there before.

Jim

vizi0n

hey there guys!

It just happened again! It looks like it does it more when its rainy outside, and the sound/knocking seems to be coming from right underneat the glovebox in the center console... its still raining so I cant check right now but what's right under there?

sadsy

i had an annoying knock knock sound too and i thought it was a cv kinda sound, it turned out to be the pads in the calipers moving slightly.

vizi0n

AJ4 said:
the passengers legs :lol: ( driveshaft ;) )
No, its coming from the rear, and if it was front-wheel related I assume I would feel it in the steering wheel. It seems to be coming from under the car, right in the middle, under the armrest (which I've called glove box) or maybe a bit more to the back. Its definately not the shifter touching the prop shaft either because I don't feel anything in the shifter.

A

AJ4

ah, sorry, for us the glovebox is the one on the dash in front of the passenger :D

not a very clear picture, but the only thing under the centre is the propshaft

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you look at Ross's picture, my noise was mainly coming from the slack in a rear drive shaft. If you look to the Universal joint by the cat, there was also some slack there but not significant and no noises.

vizi0n

hmmm ... I'll have to jack my car up and see whats up

by the way, what's the safest jack point from the rear? I know the V metal bracket ton the front, but haven't found anything at the back

Last edited:

scottyd

it does sound like the driveshaft, had that problem on my old pug 205, rather annoying, and when i put it in reverse it was significantly louder than in forward gear, depending on the construction of the driveshaft (im not farmiliar on gtir driveshafts to be honest), you can have it fixed, or if its a sealed unit (like on my pug) it looks like a new driveshaft.:doh:

vizi0n

well, its only happening when going forward + turning right very sharp and i can feel the e-brake handle shaking while its doing it ... so unless its something touching the brake wires, it could be a driveshaft (lets hope not) or brakes problem