kniocking /rattleunder load

ashills

getting a rattle or knocking think from engine but only under load
is it likely to be timing chain

A

antilag

if its wen the boost is loaded up mate i hope it ent pinking on ya,does it sound like it ent getting fuel or is more of a knocking noise

ashills

more of a rattle or knocking than pinking and its in every gear at 2500rpm and up nut only when in gear/underload

A

antilag

i dunno if this is any help but i herd the tensioners on the timing chain brake or summin which causes exesive rattling dunno if anyone else can shine sum light on this may b try and put ya hand or ya ear near the end of the lefthand side of the rocker cover and rev with ya hand and see if u feel knocking or vibrating there mate.......

turblio

Well, not wanting to worry you but a light knocking noise at 2500-3250ish
is often big end bearings sometimes followed by a slight drop in oil pressure so be carefull and get someone who knows to check it out
may be timing chain hopefully
Frank

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A long shot is a head gasket, the last time my montego one went, it started off as a slight ratting/knocking under load and over the next 200miles got so bad that I was down to 3 cylinders.
(It was caused by the pressure leaking out of one cylinder into the next one and causing piston slap under load)

I'd expect it's more likely the bearings tho.

ashills

just found some more info :(
took rocker cover off all ok under there
then disconnected one injector at a time when no 2 was diconnected the rattle went away
so one dead pulsar

GINGA

Big ends? Can they be done in situ?
Yes :wink:
Just a little note to add is that when I stripped the bottom end of the 2nd R down I found it had already been apart before and that the big end cap was fitted around the wrong way on No2 cylinder causing the bigend to break up which sounds like the noise your getting apart from it happened when not underload above 2.5k rpm and when underload it went.

ashills

hmmm
well just did a comp test to see whats going on and they all read
150+-2 or3
so that seems ok
just thinking if its worth taking the lump out and doing forge pistons and balancing etc then i know its all tip top and dont have to worry about running 1.2/3 bar
any other things worth doing while its out ?? i know the list is endless but things in particular knife edging the crank or anything

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you can get it done for a sensible price or do it yourself, I'd do the big ends first and see if it cures it then you don't have to worry about ££££.
Also I believe you need to becareful that you undo everything when you take the sump off or you can damage something and make it an engine out job. Can you remember what it is Ginga? :wink:

A

Anonymous

Is it a big job on the R to do the big end bearings?

Its pretty well engineered down there, it must be quite rare to do the big end in on an R.

I have heard its a common problem on scoobs

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't done them on the Gtir, but on my montego it was a piece off cake. Basically take the sump off, and undo each big end in turn and replace the bearing shells, putting the cap back on the right way round. You just needed to rotate the crank abit (socket on the crank pulley bolt).

ashills

a rebuild it is
mike(ex gtir) has gave me a load of help on this and recons the crank would most probably need a regrind etc so gonna go for the whole rebuild and be done with
cheers for teh help everyone
anyone got a list of whats needed for the rebuild be any chance
i mean like all the bearings and bolts and gaskets
if anyone can help with this sort of info i would be really grateful