K sport 6 pots

ash_16889

Thinking of fitting them to my gtir as they seem quite good value for money just wanted to get so opinions before I do so what do people think . Thanks

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've run my K Sport 6 pots for around 3/4 years now, predominately on track.

I currently run the 304mm kit under my 16" wheels and have no clearance issues at all.

Overall, value for money they're not bad at all.

Parts are easy to order, either from K Sport or from AP Racing. As the K Sports are a "rip off/copy" AP Racing's 6 pot housing, but use a 4 pot brake pad (kind of a mix match of designs - but that's the Chinese for you!)

However to contradict myself, K Sport (or trading as Apex Performance - Bradford) they are totally useless at having parts available, I've rang a few times about spares or replacements and they've either never gotten back to me or not had in stock for around 6 - 12 weeks! (hence my use of AP Racing)

Performance wise, I can't really fault them, they've taken some mighty stick on track with heavy braking and the heat dissipation is much better than my old Wilwoods.

Only things it would recommend, are branded pads (Ferodo DS2500, Mintex 1155 or Carbotech XP8's) rather than the crap, K Sport supply (garbage and lethal).

Make sure you add braided brake lines to the rear of the car to "help" balance out the braking bias when adding the 6 pots to the front and good quality brake fluid like ATE Super Blue. This should be a good combination of braking performance and help reduce that spongy peddle feel!

Depending whether your going to track the car or use it on the street, choose brake pads that best suit what you will be doing with it.

Also one other thing, don't bother with their 8 pot kits, there mega bulky compared to the 6 pots and the overall pad surface on the 8 pots only fractionally bigger than the 6 pots and I personally feel they are not good value for money.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe just return the natural bias. - If you've changed the fronts and left the rears as is with the old hoses, it stands to reason that they won't be working as efficiently as the fronts.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
That's a new one.......first time I've heard of hoses helping the bias lol
Let's not be pedantic here, I'm not saying that adding rear lines is like adding a brake bias.

However, when I added rear lines on my car the rear braking force on the rear was more potent than when it just had braided lines on the front.

The car was noticeably more stable when breaking from low and high speed and I suggest that adding rear lines will help with the braking bias and reduce the front heaviness that it will be when adding 6 pot K Sports just to the front. .

red reading

Fit matching pads front and rear as well, I use carbotech xp on front and rear, and hawk on the rally car.

I was always under the impression that you should never fit braided lines to just one axle regardless as it promotes even more ballooning in the remaining rubber lines.

warpspeed

I agree that braided hoses on the front and standard on the rear will affect the initial braking but after that it shouldn't make any difference.

grim_d

I've run my K Sport 6 pots for around 3/4 years now, predominately on track.

I currently run the 304mm kit under my 16" wheels and have no clearance issues at all.

Overall, value for money they're not bad at all.

Parts are easy to order, either from K Sport or from AP Racing. As the K Sports are a "rip off/copy" AP Racing's 6 pot housing, but use a 4 pot brake pad (kind of a mix match of designs - but that's the Chinese for you!)

However to contradict myself, K Sport (or trading as Apex Performance - Bradford) they are totally useless at having parts available, I've rang a few times about spares or replacements and they've either never gotten back to me or not had in stock for around 6 - 12 weeks! (hence my use of AP Racing)

Performance wise, I can't really fault them, they've taken some mighty stick on track with heavy braking and the heat dissipation is much better than my old Wilwoods.

Only things it would recommend, are branded pads (Ferodo DS2500, Mintex 1155 or Carbotech XP8's) rather than the crap, K Sport supply (garbage and lethal).

Make sure you add braided brake lines to the rear of the car to "help" balance out the braking bias when adding the 6 pots to the front and good quality brake fluid like ATE Super Blue. This should be a good combination of braking performance and help reduce that spongy peddle feel!

Depending whether your going to track the car or use it on the street, choose brake pads that best suit what you will be doing with it.

Also one other thing, don't bother with their 8 pot kits, there mega bulky compared to the 6 pots and the overall pad surface on the 8 pots only fractionally bigger than the 6 pots and I personally feel they are not good value for money.

Dragging up an old thread here but have you ever had any issues with judder? After about 2000 miles I have brake judder when warmed up under light braking from anything over 60mph, you possibly wouldn't notice on track as hard on the brakes and it doesnt judder.

Using DS2500's which are prone to pad deposits so had the discs off today to clean them up which has helped a bit, checked disc run out too which was about 0.12mm each side, which is out of spec. I don't use the brakes hard enough to have caused overheating.

Think I am going to have the discs skimmed and change to carbotech pads.

grim_d

An interesting read, I will pick up some of this iron-x and give it a go along with some new pads, I buffed the discs with red scotchbrite on my mini grinder but it was probably not agressive enough to remove all deposits, have some quite gentle blending discs but was too concerned about making the surface uneven to try them, funny how they can't be felt by hand.

From reading online it does seem a common problem with the ds2500. Did you ever check the runout on your k-sport discs? I would be astounded If I had managed to warp the discs, I think they probably came from China with the runout, in hindsight I should have checked them when they were new.

How much were your xp8's? I'm waiting on a response from carbotech.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Yeah, I think the ds2500's are known for deposits.

I'd given them a good clean new pads and given them a hammering. They might not be smooth right away, but some hard hammering afterwards will clean any left over deposits.

Never checked the face of them as I was pretty confident they were still straight.

My Carbotech pads were about £200, I've also opted for rears in XP8's too.

grim_d

Spoke to Ian at carbotech, going to get him a picture of the pads over the weekend to confirm fitment then ordering a set of xp8's for the fronts £170+vat

Going to hang fire on the rears at the moment, £130 + vat for a reline, I'm due new discs at the rear so may revisit at the time.

grim_d

He said he had a good idea but there are a few types of 6 pots from k sport now so wanted to confirm.