Is the Transfer box life sealed?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Admittedly Geoff took a plumber's blow torch to mine the first time, but I opened mine up last weekend with a pocket blow torch to melt the seal and a 13mm plug spanner that said it was for Nissan gearboxes. - It takes a bit to get it going, that's all.

vss irvine

if you cant get them out with any of the above methods, put an old short 3/8 extension in the plug, then weld the extension to it (the steel part!).

the heat of welding will help free it, and (if your weld is good) the extension will let you turn the plug.

then fit a new plug from nissan

watoga

use the correct size square plug tool, the correct size isn't a 3/8th ratchet square......
Thanks for all the help. Are the correct sizes 8mm and 13mm square plug keys as suggested here?

http://www.img-automotive.co.uk/drain-plug-key-8-13mm-sq.html?___store=default

If this is correct, can someone point me to an impact version as I can't find one anywhere! Does the length of the plug key need to be shorter than normal, or will any correct-sized impact keys do the trick?

Many thanks,
Dave

Fusion Ed

I have had some of these plugs so damn tight I have had to weld bars onto them to get them out (they had previously been stripped of the key-way so no chance there)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member

Trip

I needed to do this but did not find any tools locally to do it. What i did is got a large bolt and squared the end using my grinder.

Used the head side of the bolt to use as hex point to stick my socket/rachet onto it.

vss irvine

I needed to do this but did not find any tools locally to do it. What i did is got a large bolt and squared the end using my grinder.

Used the head side of the bolt to use as hex point to stick my socket/rachet onto it.
thats a good one....