irritating hesitation but most things checked. Suggestions?

M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi All,

Since my rebuild things have been going smoothly. however, recently i have been having an occasional issue of the car hessitating under WOT conditions. Its worrying as the car pulls very hard then suddenly stops pulling. Its at the regular 4-5k rpm that most people speak of. I have replaced the following;

HT leads
plugs
dissy
rotor
fuel filter
fuel pump (done months ago)
regrounded the MAF

With the above in mind, my next port of call was fault codes which are fine- 55. I have also just tested my TPS which shows 0.47v (idle) and 4.073v (WOT) so i am now left wondering what it could be. My only other thought is crappy fuel- Esso supreme (i was running low and wasn't close to my usual BP/Tesco/Shell stops) but it has been donig it on all fuels. Oh and the tank is currently full and is still doing it.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

projectgtir

Would say its worth changing the ignition amplifier/coil.
I had an anoying miss on idle and light throttle .Buying a new one cured the problem .
You can get them on ebay for £30 deliverd which is where i brought mine from, fitted no probs.

M

mynheers_a_pint

Cool. I've ordered one and £29.50 ain't too shabby.

Empty Pockets

Try making an earthing kit Liam, or buy one off ebay for 40 quid. Just been through all this with my little bro's R, Bought brand new walbro, fuel filter, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, re-earthed the maf, reset tps etc etc, The only thing i had that he didn't was a cheap earthing kit i bought off ebay so i got some battery cable and ring connections from my mates work and copied the layout of mine, pulls like a train now mate, well worth trying as its cheap and easy. Hope it works for you to mate, Russ

M

mynheers_a_pint

Try making an earthing kit Liam, or buy one off ebay for 40 quid. Just been through all this with my little bro's R, Bought brand new walbro, fuel filter, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, re-earthed the maf, reset tps etc etc, The only thing i had that he didn't was a cheap earthing kit i bought off ebay so i got some battery cable and ring connections from my mates work and copied the layout of mine, pulls like a train now mate, well worth trying as its cheap and easy. Hope it works for you to mate, Russ
Oddly, i have been thinking of doing this for a while. I can certainly see the benefits as the standard ones are especially worn having been moved around after the engine swap. The pissing annoying thing is that it ran perfectly on the way home from work so i seems very intermittent. Coil is on order and i recon an earthing kit plus a battery relocation kit would be most spiffing.

I'll keep things updated as i fit the new parts. There are just far too many parts that can cause this problem.

:roll:

Fusion Ed

Detailed log analysis from the ECU can reveal problems like this some times. I have done this before and found all sorts of really quite hidden problems.

M

mynheers_a_pint

Detailed log analysis from the ECU can reveal problems like this some times. I have done this before and found all sorts of really quite hidden problems.
How should i go about finding this information?

My biggest worry is that i want to have everything working correctly for when i start on the management and a potential 'hardware' issue could scupper this.

Without seeming presumptuous, where abouts are you based, Ed?

Fusion Ed

Well how I went about it on one recently was to data log as much info as I could and then import the data into excel and do a few comparisons of the numbers in a graphical format. That way its easier to see trends. In this case it turned out to be a faulty airflow meter that appeared on the face of it to be working just fine, but it was not linear and in some cases random by only just a few tenths of a volt, but it was enough to totally screw with the way the car drove.

I'm in Chertsey :)

M

mynheers_a_pint

Ah. A meager jaunt up the M3. How delightful.

Let me replace the basics first seeing as i've already ordered them.

I may have to speak to you regarding managment options and costs as well but thats another conversation. :)

M

mynheers_a_pint

ok the new coil hasn't made any difference so next i'll try re-earthing the engine bay...

Fun fun.

antgtir

Long shot and sounds more like a MAF problem to me, but you could test the TPS voltage to ensure thats working as you have already covered the main culprits.

This is pretty much exactly what i went through and Ed was consulted on that also lol. I ended up driving to Jim's (Campbelju) to test a few things. He let me have one of his spair MAF's and hey presto, R works fantastically.

Good luck with the search.

Ant.

M

mynheers_a_pint

I tested the TPS voltage and that was fine (see the first post).

Would it be worth taking a can of carb cleaner to the MAF?

antgtir

The MAF's usually stay quite clean anyway to be honest, you will prob find its an electrical fault with the MAF and so cannot be readily repaired by you or I.

Wouldn't have thought the carb cleaner would do anything but no harm in tryin i suppose. Just make sure you dont blow the MAF to bits with the canister pressure lol

Ant.

M

mynheers_a_pint

i suppose the next thing to try is a MAF then. Don't think there is anyone down here i can borrow one from...