Intercooler cleaner.

N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok my FMIC looks like it can do with a wee clean up.(more noticable since i trimmed the old number plate holder to match the slats).
Whats the best stuff to use to get rid of most of the shit and get it looking like new??
Im just after something i can spray on an rinse of,nothing that requires removing the IC.

Braveheart

For external cleaning, I would use a spray application used to take the grim off alloy wheels.... follow the instructions on the can except spray it on IC not wheels....:lol: :lol: ;-)

N

Nik_GTI-R

Braveheart said:
For external cleaning, I would use a spray application used to take the grim off alloy wheels.... follow the instructions on the can except spray it on IC not wheels....:lol: :lol: ;-)
U know something,i never even thought of that.Cheers.
Also gonna try TFR as i use that on my wheels sumtimes and its stronger than wheel cleaner.

youngsyp

Take it off and use truck degreaser to clean both the inside and outside.
When cleaning the outside, go against the normal flow, to push dirt and particles out, and not further into the fins.

Wash off/out with a hose (not a pressure washer) and make sure you remove all the degreaser from the inside and also make sure the inside is bone dry, before you refit it.

Or, maybe a little safer is to use petrol on the inside and the truck degreaser on the outside.

The choice is yours.

Paul

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
to clean the inside, find something you can cap both the inlets of the cooler, I think I used some sort of plastic food container, like a big yogart/pasta suace pot or something, then with one end capped pour in say 1/2 a ltr of petrol, cap the other end off hold, pick the cooler up with both hands holding the caps on and give it a good shake.............you will be amazed at what comes out :shock: do this a few times until the petrol runs clear, then leave it standing to drain out or you could blow it out with an air hose or stick a blow touch in one end and watch the flames shoot out the other :lol:

when cleaning the outside I would just use soap/washing up liquid and water at normal hose pressure, be ultra careful as some cooler manufacturer's use some sort of resin/putty like substance to help seal off the brazed joints between the fin/tubes and the end tanks, when old the resin gets brittle and will break away and if your not careful you might end up with a leaky cooler

Last edited:
N

Nik_GTI-R

Ok tried to clean it with a few things but it must be corroded as it didnt make much difference.
So i had an idea,and i shouldve done it in the 1st place.lol
I just flipped the I/C around and now its alot better,not as mucky.