Intake Manifold

billy187

Ive just split my intake manifold down so i can paint it, was wondering if theres anything else i can do to it whilst its apart to improve things?

Edit - Just noticed i posted this in the wrong section, could a mod move it over for me please...

Last edited:

Trip

You should carb clean all those solenoids you have at the back. Change the rubber hoses too

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You could give the inside of the plenum and the bodies a light polish? - Dave Perry Jr told me to make it look like a golf ball, but I'm pretty sure he was pulling my leg (again).

PS I'm not sure where to move this to... but it's not an FAQ so I moved it one section down.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You could give the inside of the plenum and the bodies a light polish? - Dave Perry Jr told me to make it look like a golf ball, but I'm pretty sure he was pulling my leg (again).
no he's not, small uniform dimples all over the inlet port walls would be ideal, what ever you do don't ever smooth out or polish the inlet ports.

I'd also say that unless your going to completely rebuild the throttle bodies with new butterflies, spindles and seals, leave well alone and whatever you do DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER to clean out the throttle bodies........

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Steve, that's good to know. - I'm never quite sure with what he tells me.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Thanks Steve, that's good to know. - I'm never quite sure with what he tells me.
in basic terms it's all to do with creating the right type and amount of turbulence in the right places to help air/fuel mix without slowing the air speed down on the inlet side and smoothing, polishing and opening (all engines have different requirements though) up the passages on the exhaust side to allow the exhaust gas pulses to almost pull themselves from the combustion chamber and down the pipe, it's this movement that then helps pull more fresh air/fuel charge into the combustion chamber........basically

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The crud is actually making the air-tight seal when they close? If you blast it off with the carbie cleaner it won't seal any more an the idle speed goes up?

I remember Shaun showing me some the he was going to rebuild and you could see light round the edges of the butterflies.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
The crud is actually making the air-tight seal when they close? If you blast it off with the carbie cleaner it won't seal any more an the idle speed goes up?

I remember Shaun showing me some the he was going to rebuild and you could see light round the edges of the butterflies.
exactly :-D

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
so polishing the runners would not make any Difference?
yes, polishing the inlet runners will make a difference, it'll probably make it idle and run at low revs like a pile of shit and make no difference to the top end..

if really you want to make a difference to the standard inlet tract, strip down all the throttle bodies, grind smooth the ridge on the leading inlet edge of the bodies, feather the butterflies, buy new spindles and waist them slightly so the profile would be oval on WOT, then start to rebuild but refitting the feathered butterflies use smaller grub screws (and perm loctite) to hold the butterflies in position and once tight file the grub screw head flat to the spindle. If you get it right you will make a little difference if you fuck it up (very easy) you'll need to rebuild them all again....

I think the thing to remember is that the pulsar is a 20 yr old, 1200 kg road car and not a 600kg F1 race car and for all it's good points it has loads of weaknesses and it's really worth concentrating all your efforts on making the car as strong and reliable as possible before making it faster

projectgtir

Ive just stripped my inlet to clean the ring of deposit in each tb . changed all gaskets and used petrol and white spirit to degrease as there was a fair bit of oil residue in the inlet collector .

It drives alot better at light throttle, and is more well behaved in first gear when in traffic, as it used to kangaroo if you know what I mean.
No change in terms of power etc not that i was expecting any.

Idle is 100rpm lower , but I also did the pcv breather mod as well .

I,d reccomed cleaning it, after all it didnt come out the factory with deposits in the inlet .

Trip

I know what you mean. Luckly mine were ok after the clean and it holds good vacuum on idle.