Installing ARP head/rod/main bolts/studs, COMETIC HG ???

radiobar

hi !

i got all my parts complete so i can start my rebuild in the next days.

what torques and procedures do you use for ARP studs/bolts ?
i found different topics on sr20forum. and also some people dont
recommend ARP parts. for example the head studs are not same length
as the standard ones. so they might fail.

i also found bad posts about cometic head gasket.

what experience do you have with ARP parts ?
what about cometic ?
or should i use standard parts ?

so far i got:
COMETIC head gasket 87.00
JE pistons 87.00
ACL main bearings
ACL rod bearings
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
ARP rod bolts
bronze valve guides

all new gaskets/seals
new oil pump
new water pump
new chain+tensioner+guides
JUN 272 cams
JUN uprated springs

thanks for any info

EVOBAD

well every body seems to use the arp bolts & dont get a problem but if your rebuilding then dont put the used srtd ones back in get new as for the head gasket a source from the states told me the hks,greddy etc buy the cometic gasket & just put ther indorsment on it

nismoboy

arp head bolts are fine if u torque them to 90lbft with moly lube. torque these to standard specs but on the last one torque them up to 90lbft.
dont use cometic hg there crap! use apexi or hks.

P

pulsarboby

cometic steel ones are crap!
the hks is a different gasket altogether as it has fire rings around edge of cylinders where as the cheap steel cometic ones dont. they will also not fit over locating dowels without reaming the holes bigger. also have found that unless both mating surfaces are 100% flat that these gaskets will blow very easily.

hks are far better, but expensive! i would rather fit a standard nissan gasket than a cheapo cometic tbh.

imo arp head studs are not needed as the standard bolts are more than sufficient for any engine running around 450bhp

arp bigend bolts i think are a must have, as its generally the standard bolts that let go, the standard main bearing bolts are again generally fine with no probs that ive heard of.

P

pulsarmick

oh balls that will be me having the head off soon then i have just fitted a cosmetic one oh well thats a pulsar in bit soon then :doh:

radiobar

hi !

as i already got all ARPs - i will also fit the head studs.
will have to think about the HG,many people are using cometics
without probs.

and i will torque all of them(head,rod,main) what the manual says.

thanks

Jonnie R

Balls!! I just took my engine to be rebuilt which included a cometic H/G. Best price I can find HKS is approx £120+post from jp... Can anyone better that?

........Cometic h/g, 87mm, 1.2mm for sale

P

pulsarboby

Jonnie R said:
Balls!! I just took my engine to be rebuilt which included a cometic H/G. Best price I can find HKS is approx £120+post from jp... Can anyone better that?

........Cometic h/g, 87mm, 1.2mm for sale

thats cheap! have you got a link to that please jonny? or is that jp off this site?

wouldnt worry too much regards the cometics (i fitted one to my engine build:roll: ) but knowing what i know now i would rather have used an hks jobbie!

it should be fine if both the head and block faces are 100% flat.

Jonnie R

Thats from Greenline Bobby (link below) but I haven't taken into account the paypal fees and conversion..... nor customs but I haven't been charged once over the past year

http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bccatpartlist.php?make=Nissan&carcode=GTIR&intake=FI&category=engine

I've spent alot on the engine over the past few months, I don't want to risk the h/g going for the sake of saving £60 (assuming I sell the cometic), prevention better than the cure and all that, especially when I stick a 3076 tubby on:lol: .

I'm working on a better price from the US. See what they say

P

pulsarboby

yeah i know what you mean! if engines still out then i would stick an hks on it tbh (wish i had, although mine seems fine upto yet), but theres always that thought in the back of your head.

if you find a better price on them, then let me know please!

kirko

standard head bolts have failed at higher boost levels not recommended for running big power, just for peace of mind i would always fit uprated head bolts

Jonnie R

pulsarboby said:
yeah i know what you mean! if engines still out then i would stick an hks on it tbh (wish i had, although mine seems fine upto yet), but theres always that thought in the back of your head.

if you find a better price on them, then let me know please!
Glad I read this thread, I should have a reply off them in the next day or so, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

azboy

cosmetic never herd or seen a good thing about them, on low boost may be ok but so is the standard head gasket from nissan is good and if tested hard would take big power maybe better then cos trust me go for hks costs more but never herd anything bad about hks, every head gasket i see fail is cosmetic.

MarkTurbo

azboy said:
every head gasket i see fail is cosmetic.
Never heard of a "cosmetic" head gasket before :? Is that one of those parts thats fitted just for its looks :lol:

Cant go wrong with an hks gasket ;-) Mines been reused a few times now :lol:

Jonnie R

I am still waiting for a reply from the US regarding a cheaper price but I got too impatient and purchased one from greenline for £135 to my door which includes PayPal fees/currency conversion and postage. Fingers crossed I don't get stung on import tax.

PS. Greenline said they were down to their last 2 but this could have been a blag so that I bought one there and then........It worked